River/landscaping rocks

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Has anyone ever made a find in river/landscaping rock? Brep posted "First Find" and stated he found a blade on top of landscaping rock and did not know if it was brought in with the rock or was natural to the area. Where I work there is a large amount of landscaping rock/river stone to prevent weed growth and add to the building presentation. This stone is called river rock and contains several varieties. Is it worth while looking through these areas that contain the stone? Thanks....BigC

Upvote 0

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
That's a good question. I've never seen anything in these kinds of rocks, but if you figure they have to come from somewhere... sure, there might be something good mixed in. I'm curious to hear what the more experienced folks think.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Breps arrow/blade came from the soil delivered, not the actual rocks. Its worth looking I guess but, personally I would better spend my energy looking near rivers,creeks,high ground near creeks,foots of mountains,caves or plowed fields. I found several well known campsites here in NC, just through asking locals,searching the net. Maybe you could find out this way.
Hope this helps BigC. Good luck.

Molly.

OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Mark & Molly,

Thanks for the replies. I won't spend a lot of time but I will do some searching during lunch. We are talking about 100 to 140 yds. of stone. My father-in-law recently found a point in the sand bunker of the golf course he lives on. He was raking and heard a "ting" and found the point. Thanks again...BigC

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
a friend of mine had a load of river gravel delivered for his drive-way. when he had it all racked-out , he found a nice 3 inch allen point, 8,000 bp., late-paleo.

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
I would think that if the landscaping material came from an artifact rich area, there would be a good chance of finding something.

P

pickaway

I found a point last week in some dirtpiles, they since have been removed from site who knows where they dumped it but i bet there was more pieces in it so ya never know.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Back in Iowa , I've noticed that the camp/ village sites frequently have sand/gravel pits on them . I've had this idea , that the Native-Americans possably chose these areas becouse the ground drained better ? Anyway I'm sure there are a few points on those gravel roads back there .

My two-cents; Blindpig

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had a buddy who found a really nice Big Sandy point in some creek gravel he had delivered for his driveway, so I guess my answer would be yes, you just might find something in some landscape rock.

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
my granddaughter found a late archiac point in soil delivered to my yard. I put it in my display and I point it out to her and it makes her so proud. Always have eyes down.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Artifacts frequently wash through the rocks that cover the embankments around here. The Cribb Mound comes to mind. They have rip rap covering the bank to prevent or slow erosion from the river, and artifacts frequently make it past the rip rap.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I found a quartz point laying on top of grass beside a driveway that had just had a load of sand delivered and spread out. I picked it up and deposited it in my pocket very fast.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
I saw one found in a bag of gold panning gravel before.
Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread