River Revisited

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I walked a long section of a smaller river here in central Iowa today. Since the river levels are low, I decided to take my cheapy telescoping rod and reel that I keep behind the seat for just such occasions. I thought maybe I'd get lucky on a walleye or two as well as maybe even snag a point on one of the exposed gravel bars. I didn't have any luck with the fish but scored on the point. ;D
Here is the point I found as well as a broken blade tip and a piece of pottery (no design).

point1.jpg

point2.jpg

point3.jpg

point4.jpg

tip1.jpg

tip2.jpg

tip3.jpg

shard1.jpg

shard2.jpg

shard3.jpg

shard4.jpg

And a neat little fossil I picked up.

fossil1.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil3.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the river. In the first picture, there is a small rock rapid and you can see a gravel bar on the other side of the river. It was on that very gravel bar, two years ago, that I found a beauty of an axe in the edge of the water.

river2.jpg

river1.jpg

arrowheadlee

Mar 10, 2011
Iowa
Very nice finds there Tom. That piece there in the 7th pic. looks like a base to a Adena and it took one hell of a good eye to see that beauty of a point.

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Beautiful point Tom - wafer thin! As Lee stated - eagle eye for that one. I'd rather carry that out over any stringer of fish. :wink:

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Jimminey Crickets Tom! I had to look at that first pic a couple of times asking myself where the heck is it!?

Definately some eagle eyes! You have boosted my confidence knowing how many pieces I am walking over :laughing9:

I'll take rocks any day over fresh fish! Great job!

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That point is really nice! I remember the axe you are talking about and its an very neat piece. Glad you got out to such a beautiful place and posted some photos for us.

Thanks for the look!

Matt

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Well I think you and I have at least one section of the river in common :wink: I found that great big knife right around there (if it is where I'm thinking) a couple years ago. Sweet little point :thumbsup: Great eye on spotting it!

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Congrats T that was fun nice outing I been there too ,just kidding very promising area I like the landrise on the right in last pic.The fossil looks like a turtle peeking out of his shell lol,your faring well this spring keep on.

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I don't believe any of you get there very often. Not a single footprint anywhere and I've been out in that area for the last few days. ;D
Trout, the river curves to the north in that picture and you can see a fairly large creek coming in to the river at the far left side of the picture. That landform you mentioned is a very narrow ridge that comes down to a point between the river and the creek. It's covered with timber but I'm sure it would have been a perfect area for occupation. I'd like to have, or at least see every artifact that is up on that ridge.
The fossil, by the way, is a crinoid crown. It's one of the nicest free standing crowns I've ever found.

JRuss

Mar 25, 2011
Good looking point there Tom. I think I'd like to camp right there on that gravelbar. Great looking spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions