Historical diggers

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2017
GA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB CTX 3030 / AT PRO ./ AT GOLD FOR RIVERS AND CREEKS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHEN SEARCHING WITH OLD MAPS FROM 1800S TO CURRENT . SOME CREEKS AND RIVERS MOVE DUE TO FLOODS AND YEARS OF ABUSE OF HEAVY RAINS . HERE IS MY OPTION AND WHAT I HAVE DONE GO TO THE LIBARY AND MAKE A CLEAR MAP OF A 2017 MAP THEN OVERLAY IT TO YOUR 1800 MAPS AND LINE UP THE CREEKS AND ROADS ITS MUCH MORE UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR LOCATIONS

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
To make it ultra easy, and to use your 1800's map with GPS in the field after it is rectified you might try a free android app called Maprika.

One of the best THunter aids I've used. Check it out.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see it is though I'm a bit concerned that if it's running gps all the time it will shorten battery life and the maps get stored on phone memory so those with
Less available might run out. Maybe those concerns don't matter that much. Anyone else using it?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There are simple power-storage devices that you can buy for your cell phone or other smaller electronics. Some have disposable batteries, but if you'll use it regularly, I'd pay a little more and get one with rechargeable battery, YET can be easily swapped out to common disposable batteries.

Another benefit of these is if you get stranded somewhere or incur natural disaster, you'll have power for your communications device.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I see it is though I'm a bit concerned that if it's running gps all the time it will shorten battery life and the maps get stored on phone memory so those with
Less available might run out. Maybe those concerns don't matter that much. Anyone else using it?

I use an old smartphone without service as a field phone and never wory about it.

Yes, the GPS saps your battery faster, but once the site is located I turn GPS off and use the phone for pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread