Road trip question

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to ask a question about supply banks during road trips. Do you guys hit all the banks and ask to buy their halves or just the ones you have memberships at. My job will require a lot of upcoming traveling and i wanted to take advantage of it. Will random banks allow you to buy out their half dollar rolls if you are not a member?

Upvote 0

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
It's all in your approach...I am often asked if I have an account and I confidently answer yes. Very rarely does the teller press the matter further.

HH,
cuttybce

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
I always stop at every bank I can find. As long as you are courteous, use manners, look decent, etc. you shouldn't have any trouble. Very few tellers have ever asked me if I was a member, and they are usually different branches of the same bank.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never done a road trip just for coins. My job takes me all over the state. When I arrive in a town early will hit as many banks as I can. I have been turned away by a credit union because I was not a member. Other than that I have had no problems. I seem to do better a stopping by banks than the two boxes I order each week.

Good Luck
Gordon and Tanner.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Some banks are kind of stuffy; I've run into all kinds of banks searching the last couple years. One time was intercepted in the lobby and interrogated regarding my intentions. Explained my purpose and was shown the front door.....it happens.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's helpful to get an account with some of the large banks, like bank of america, wells fargo; So you can dump rejects on the road.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
This may be a stupid question...

Is a supply bank a different type of bank, like a credit union or savings and loan, or is it just the bank where u buy?

I cant believe any bank would question why your there and deny you the right to buy any coins. Bad customer service. Just my 2 cents!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means hit every bank you come across. I have "hit" literally hundreds of different banks in many different towns, and have only been asked if I had an account 4-5 times. I always answered honestly. I was always able to get the halves regardless of whether I had an account or not. For the most part, half dollars are a nuisance to the tellers. They are THRILLED to get rid of them. Usually a bank has to have a certain amount (usually $500 or $1000) before they can "ship them off to the Fed." For most banks (at least in my area) it can take years for the bank to accumulate enough to ship off. Therefore, they have to count them every day...week after week...month after month. They want rid of them. Essentially, you are doing them a favor.

Should you come across a bank that is reluctant to sell them to you, assure them that they will NOT be getting them back. Tell them you're a coin collector from out of town and that the halves will be going back with you. That should do the trick. I'm sure you already know this but NEVER buy halves from a bank, pluck all the keepers, and return them to the same bank.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
HH1972 said:
This may be a stupid question...

Is a supply bank a different type of bank, like a credit union or savings and loan, or is it just the bank where u buy?

I cant believe any bank would question why your there and deny you the right to buy any coins. Bad customer service. Just my 2 cents!
Security reasons.....and, they don't have to sell you any coin, especially if you don't have an account with them. Also, if it's near holiday shopping time, they don't want to be shorted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread