Road Trip this week

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Gotta head out of town for a funeral tomorrow. Gonna be in a completely different part of the country, in an area I always wanted to hunt, with a lot of REALLY rural banks waaay out in the country. Should have all day Wednesday, half a day Thursday, and all day Friday to road trip to my heart's content. Fortunately, got at least 2 branches of my bank within 20 minutes of where I'm staying, so dumping shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also plan to do a little MD'ing.

Will update throughout as time permits, and will share the locations after I return.

Wish me luck!

FT

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck FT. It's always fun to hit banks out of your area. Especially if you score. HH

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear that is the reason you have to leave town, good luck in your hunt. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Day 1: stopped at approximately 35 - 40 banks over a stretch of 155 miles. What would normally have been a 2.5 hour trip took 8 hours! The best part is that my wife is fine with it! Alas, only about $250 in CWR and loose halves, out of which I found only a lone '67 and 2 decent proofs. I did manage to pick up $200 in MWR's, oddly enough, and will go through those tonight.

Funeral tomorrow morning, and I may hit a few small towns in the afternoon. Friday should be another marathon day.

Good luck and HH!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something really wrong with this thread!!!!

BUT - I'd probably be trying to do the same thing.

Maybe we need to start a CRH Anonymous group?

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
This is something really wrong with this thread!!!!

BUT - I'd probably be trying to do the same thing.

Maybe we need to start a CRH Anonymous group?

You mean because I'm CRH'ing on my way to a funeral? Yeah, I can see how it looks, but it's not like I'm ducking out of the viewing to check banks (although there is a very old bank just across the street...). What happened is my grandmother died a week ago (I was at her bedside), and her hometown is 800 miles away. Rather than catch a flight there the night before and fly back the next day, we decided to take several days off and drive, taking time to visit family and yes, CRH. Grandma collected coins, and I'm sure would have wanted me to...

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funerals are a time to reflect upon your own life and the people in it. If hunting with your family is a good time, then hunt away. HH

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with crh whilest in route to a funeral. I find crh to be very relaxing. I do it on my lunch break to ease the street of a hectic work day.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You mean because I'm CRH'ing on my way to a funeral? Yeah, I can see how it looks, but it's not like I'm ducking out of the viewing to check banks (although there is a very old bank just across the street...). What happened is my grandmother died a week ago (I was at her bedside), and her hometown is 800 miles away. Rather than catch a flight there the night before and fly back the next day, we decided to take several days off and drive, taking time to visit family and yes, CRH. Grandma collected coins, and I'm sure would have wanted me to...

Yesterday I had lunch with my grandparents as they came through our town. I talked with my grandfather about CRHing and he told me that he started doing it in the 1940's. We talked about our coins, and he told me about all of the coins that he sold out of his collection over the past 2 years. Both of us suddenly realized that I was continuing a hobby that he did since he was a kid, and I'm starting a collection to pass on to my kids.

You have to enjoy the loved ones as you have them with you, and if you have a hobby that you both enjoyed then you should continue to enjoy it in their memory. :)

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, the results are in.

The road trip went from Jackson, Mississippi west along I-20 almost to Shreveport, Louisiana. I was really hoping to hit paydirt at some of the small, out of the way Louisiana towns, but no such luck. To make matters worse, the Ruston newspaper had a full page ad of people buying gold and silver, and there just wasn't much to be found.

Didn't CRH at all Thursday, and only half a day Friday. Most of the banks down there only have drive throughs open on Saturday, so I hit one of the few Chase banks available to dump. My totals are as follows:

$150 dimes searched: nothing
$250 quarters searched: no silver, and fully half of the quarters were brand new - not sure of the year, but it was the Denali Park series.
$700 MWR halves searched: 3 x 40%.
$170 CWR halves searched: nothing
$24 loose halves searched: 3 x 40%.

Bottom line, we spent easily 10 hours CRH'ing, and netted a total of 6 40%'ers.

Good luck and HH!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend went to highschool in Jackson! small world.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
$250 quarters searched: no silver, and fully half of the quarters were brand new - not sure of the year, but it was the Denali Park series.

Did you make sure none were S-mint business strike? Those have really low mintages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread