Robbed at a bank!

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
My car was broken into tonight while I was inside a bank exchanging $9 for the halves they had in their drawer... I parked at a Capital One bank, walked inside -- no line -- got the halves, walked out 2 minutes later, and my car window was smashed! Center console in the car was open and missing $200 (oddly enough the thief left the $5 in 1's next to the 2x 100's)...

So let this be a reminder to people not to leave any money in the vehicle even when it is not visible. There was nothing of value visible anywhere in my car and I was out of line of sight of my vehicle for under 2 minutes.

Also, check your surroundings carefully and try to park in locations with security cameras. This bank does not have cameras covering their parking lots (amazing since they told me this has happened at their bank more than once before). The parking lot at this bank is small and surrounded by shoulder high bushes on 3 sides. I won't be parking at this bank anymore.

Oh and for those wondering, I got 1 1966 40%'er in that $9 :)

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
did the bank call you and tell you they had the halves? if a bank calls me i always go through the drive through window.......just being lazy i guess, but that is just me. may have kept you from being a victim. i am lucky when it comes to parking at my main supply and dump banks. i pull up right to the door where the armored truck parks.

OP
OP
D

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
No call from the bank. It was just on the route from work to my residence so I stopped by. Next time I may try the drive through. Historically I have gotten better results from interacting with tellers in person, but this indicates it may not be worth it at banks with shady parking lots.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
So how much was stolen? 200? I am sorry for that. It could happen to any one of us though. You will make it back in silver two fold and very soon I know it. Good luck

Golden Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sorry to hear about what happened to you today. I figure it's just a matter of time before it happens to me if I start going on road trips again. I hit all the banks in the creepy parts of town. But I won't dump there.

HH

Rich

OP
OP
D

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
Yes just 200, and whatever it will cost to repair window. I am fairly new to CRH so I will just have to work my way out of this hole of a start... fortunately the thief didn't pop the trunk and take the boxes of halves I had picked up at another bank... speaking of which, box 1: 7x 40% and 1x 90% kennedy. Nothing in box 2 so far....

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Sorry you to hear you got robbed. Maybe when your on ,your road trips you and other CRH's should take a friend along for aride just to sit in the car while your in the bank,just to keep people away from braking in.Just a thought.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Why do you keep money in your car?

My Ford Ranger is full of junk generally- [old] climbing ropes, chainsaw parts, minor tools, a dog bed for my dogs and trash in general- so far no one has shown interest in breaking into it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread