Rochester Park Map(s)

57sauce

Dec 3, 2007
Rochester, MN
A link for Rochester and area MD'rs

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/parks/pdf/main-all-web.pdf

Shows all the city parks and schools, I have lived here for years and never realised there were that many... plus were there are plans to put new ones.

I found this also listing of "ammenitys" kinda cool. tells what parks have what(ball fields, shelters), if its developed, and if its historical.

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/park/parks/pdf/Parkdata.pdf

OP
OP
57sauce

57sauce

Dec 3, 2007
Rochester, MN
Re: Rochester Park Map

I called the Park and Rec Dep they said that you can in any of the city parks.

201 4th Street SE - Rm 150
Rochester, MN 55904
Phone: (507)328-2525
Hours: 8 am - 5 pm M-F

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only that, but the Park and Rec. sponsors our detecting club and gives us a great meeting room for free.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
BK- good to see You again!!
Duluth Parks say its OK to Detect-- just can't dig!!??
Rochester sounds more detector friendly!!
HH

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Re: Duluth parks, or others with possible problems

Did you call the police and ask if you could be fined for detecting in Duluth city parks? Many police understand that most coins will be underground, and will likely volunteer info as to restrictions, if any. If the police say no digging, you could ask whether or not prying up with a screwdriver counts as digging. If that's not allowed in grassy areas (which would surprise me), what about sandy areas? The police will give you a yes if anyone will, as many officers detect, too.

The anti-digging ordinances that probably every city has, date back to long before detectors were invented. The bureaucrats in the parks dept don't have arresting powers, so it's what the police say that counts. Usually they will make an exception for us, as long as we're neat & don't do damage.

Someone posted they were told no detecting in St. Paul parks. When I called the parks dept they said no digging. I asked if a screwdriver was considered the same as a shovel & they said it also says no disturbing the grass. They suggested I call the police, so I did & asked could I be fined for detecting in St. Paul parks?

The person who answered the phone said good question, I'll find someone who knows. So I repeated the question to the officer if I could be fined for detecting & he said maybe if I left a big hole that could injure someone. Other than that, he said use your own discretion.

Hope you can get the OK. My dad & I detected many parks & schoolyards in Duluth in the late '70s. Most were already detected, judging from our mostly meager finds. I remember there was a store in Duluth that sold detectors back in the late '70s. We were up there a couple weekends.

In another city, they had those signs no digging, no disturbing the soil, etc., but when I asked a park employee who worked in the community center if I could use my detector in the park he said "I don't see why not!" The signs were there mostly because of problems with intentional damage to some park equipment.

At a school I saw a sign "non-school use of property prohibited", but I called them and talked to the school liaison officer & he said OK to detect, they were just concerned about something people might be doing in cars after school.

If the police really say no detecting, perhaps the parks superintendent or the recreation director might be receptive to the idea of a permit system. In Omaha, people who want to detect go to park & rec HQ & fill out a sheet & pay $1. Then they get a wallet ID card, *with detecting code of ethics on back*, & are given a city map showing where all the parks are located.

Sometimes, 1 or two parks are off limits due to historical status, or not being city-owned (despite being within city limits) or even just one part of a park is off limits. But those things get rumors started about no detecting anywhere.

Hope I've said something helpful. Sorry to ramble so long. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread