Rock face in west virginia

Andy_WV

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 2200
Hello group,

I am a new member hoping someone can tell me more about a couple of photos I have taken. I have found what appears to be a full stone face on a river bank. Close to the stone face I also found some round holes in the large rocks along the bank the holes are about 6-7 inches across and different depths. I have found information stating that the faces are sometimes used to mark trails to treasure and mines. The area is full of indian artifacts and many tails of treasure. I think everyone hears tails of treasure though and they turn out to be just tails. Althought the pics I have are very interesting non the less. Any thought and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• l_1386125b072af6708e99f10d51db8aab.jpg
    l_1386125b072af6708e99f10d51db8aab.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 865
  • l_5824a1970ab055330b2583717ddf55ef.jpg
    l_5824a1970ab055330b2583717ddf55ef.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 831
  • m_42431d908a848327b6e135994a5294e9.jpg
    m_42431d908a848327b6e135994a5294e9.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,065
K

Kentucky Kache

To me it looks too perfect to be a treasure marker. I think markers are usually rough shaped. I could be wrong, this is not my area of expertise.
It's very interesting, looks like an Indian.

Welcome to the forum.

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also very New at this. I also have questions for the experts. Is that a cross on the Nose. It looks like the left arm of the cross is an arrow shape pointing to something. Is it man made or Natural.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a nice one!

Attachments

• Indian-Head-2.jpg
    Indian-Head-2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 813
OP
OP
Andy_WV

Andy_WV

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 2200
I am thinking it looks too apparent to be a treasure map. I would want to make it more discreate. If it is indeed man made, or should I say man altered could it be a trail marker? Also has anyone seen holes along river banks as the one in the photo?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Victorio,

Yes that is a cross on the nose pointing in the direction of travel.

A note on faces.

Faces that can be seen from both sides are main trail markers.
These point out the main course of travel in both directions

A face that can only be seen or recognised as a face from one side,
generally looks in the direction of travel, showing a one way type trail.

Thom
OD

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Victorio,

Yes that is a cross on the nose pointing in the direction of travel. OD "

:o Got One Right... Looks like all those nagging PM's amd Email with questions to you OD are paying off. Thanks for all your Help. God Bless You !!!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Victorio,

You see thee arrow, telling you to cross the river.
But it also tells you where the next marker is,
Look up on that Cross you can see a mark.

I'll bet that cross isn't a cross anymore ...

That long mark is that stream in front of the face,
There is an arrow crossing the stream,
Once across turn right and watch for another marker as you travel. Not far away.
What do you think?

Thom

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes are too perfect to be of much age. Possibly used to set a pole to hoist water out of the stream? Just a guess. The indians use to look for flat sand stone to grind indentations and used them for grinding grain. But they would appear less perfectly rounded and shallow. There sould be a few rounded sand stones used to fit into the indentations on top of the grain to grind it. Look up on top of the face or for any flat areas on nearby sandstone and you will probably see what I am talking about if it was use as an Indian encampment. Interesting side note: Many of the older Indians would have their teeth worn down nearly to the gum lines from chewing the grit in their food from the grinding process. Monty

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
We have faces very similar out here in Colorado,
here is one that is quite large.
This is a trail marker as well and is pointing to a trail thet cuts across the canyon.

Attachments

• J_Site_Face.jpg
    J_Site_Face.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 485
  • J_Site_Face.jpg
    J_Site_Face.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 425

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy Welcome, very nice pic of that face..
djui5 That one is very cool looking
old dog also very cool looking
Nice to see so many different faces in these posts to help find faces in the field...
Thanks to all...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Chris,

This kind of monument , pointer/ marker is a pretty common one and is often seen pointing out a royal trail. It also points out a good spot to camp, and depending a lot on size can point out a treasure trail.

I have seen these as shadow markers and pointers no bigger than a baseball.
And others that would blow you away they are so big. (the one I posted is 11 feet from the chin to the top of the head.)

some look down a trail, others look at another marker and then you will find the odd face that stares at the sky, with only the nose prominent. some times they are in your face and other times they are as illusive as a snipe.

I hope you enjoy looking for these "faces of history", they will enrich you with knowledge
and brighten your day.

Thom

LParton

Jul 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT YOUR PICTURES!!

Hello group,

I am a new member hoping someone can tell me more about a couple of photos I have taken. I have found what appears to be a full stone face on a river bank. Close to the stone face I also found some round holes in the large rocks along the bank the holes are about 6-7 inches across and different depths. I have found information stating that the faces are sometimes used to mark trails to treasure and mines. The area is full of indian artifacts and many tails of treasure. I think everyone hears tails of treasure though and they turn out to be just tails. Althought the pics I have are very interesting non the less. Any thought and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Well Andy, It is amazing how your photos are EXACTLY the same as the photos I took in 2007! I happen to post them on FaceBook too. I don't mind you sharing my photos but don't Take credit for it. I can easily duplicate this image because I know where it was taken, can you? And there is no great mystery to this photo, you have to be standing at exactly the right angle to get it to look like a face, from any other view it looks like every other rock. It doesn't lead to treasure or artifacts!
I have include a couple other images from that day, same poor lighting from the cheep camera I was using. And that's my son on the rocks. Fall2007 055.jpg Fall2007 058.jpg

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello Thom, The thoughts that I have been thinking about larger Symbols , Monuments are that they may indicate a longer distance, drill hole 2 X 2 inch and 2 inch to 3.5 inch indicate measure by the foot ( 11.5 inches ) 4 inch = measure by the pace, then mulpilies of yards for the larger drill hole, then we go to 1/2 / 1 league as a diamond indicates, then we go to larger profiles, Snakes ( kim has one thats large boulders in a row ) Elephants and such may indicate measure by the killometer and some may indicate what you may find on the trail. Those may indicate a Mission / Settlement, Royal Trail at a far off distance giving you a thought about provisions needed for the trip. I can run around town with a 1/2 tank of gas but I need water / snacks / lodging / plans and a full tank and that useful little gadget, cell phone to get me there. Sure would help to find someone with a topo map and an idea of where the old missions / trails / settlements were at and see if they make a match. Thank you for all that you have done and the treasures you have shared ( symbols and such )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread