Rock for ID

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I found this rock or whatever on a East Coast Florida Beach where I find many fossil bones and a few Indian points. I am wondering if this is chert or flint. I've never seen any other rocks like it there. Maybe it was brought in by the Indians, but I don't think it would flake well. It seems to be made of definite thin layers. I don't know. I think you can get an approximate size by comparison to my hand.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 381
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 385
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 375
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 377
OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
texastee2007 said:
Eu_citzen said:

fossil teeth still look closer...just my own opinion.

I'm don't know much about identifying either rocks or fossils. I find them and then have to do my research. But I was looking at the chalcedony sites and my rocks and gems book and found that coral and a bunch of other stuff can be silicized (?). They were talking a lot about agatized coral. But it looks to me that under the right conditions an object could be both a fossil and chalcedony, or something very close to it. Like I said, I don't know about this stuff and could be completely wrong. I'm definitely benefitting from the discussion and opinions. I had one other item that I asked about in the fossils forum and someone said that the other item could be a complete opal replacement fossil. So maybe this is something simiar.

Thanks for the opinions and leads. I'm following up on them to see what I can learn.

What do you make of the white layer around the edge that is seen in the first photo?

Upvote 0

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
My first thoughts that came to mind was teeth from some sort of marine animal......something very BIG......nice find.

db

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IndianRiverSonrise said:
texastee2007 said:
Eu_citzen said:

fossil teeth still look closer...just my own opinion.

I'm don't know much about identifying either rocks or fossils. I find them and then have to do my research. But I was looking at the chalcedony sites and my rocks and gems book and found that coral and a bunch of other stuff can be silicized (?). They were talking a lot about agatized coral. But it looks to me that under the right conditions an object could be both a fossil and chalcedony, or something very close to it. Like I said, I don't know about this stuff and could be completely wrong. I'm definitely benefitting from the discussion and opinions. I had one other item that I asked about in the fossils forum and someone said that the other item could be a complete opal replacement fossil. So maybe this is something simiar.

Thanks for the opinions and leads. I'm following up on them to see what I can learn.

What do you make of the white layer around the edge that is seen in the first photo?

Chalcedony is a Quartz variety. And includes among other Flint, Agate... And a bunch more.
Pretty certain it ain't opalized though, wrong lustre. The lustre is very similar to chalcedony.
Basically it describes any micro-crystalline quartz. :icon_thumleft:

Tee, it might be a tooth or several.. However I think the material its made of is Chalcedony.
I don't know enough about fossils to say anything regarding that. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
geo4472 said:
i think fossil teeth

Since so many guys were thinking fossil, I decided to post the photos on the fossil forum.

Harry Pristus, who has identified many fossils that I've posted says that it is a section of a mastadon molar.

Thanks to all of you guys for all of the help. I learned a lot from the experience.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread