Rock I.D. Help?

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Does anybody know what these rocks are? Any help would be greatly appreciated! The coin for scale is a nickel, also i took one pic which i think is the last one, wet. The big cubical rock was brought back from the southwest U.S., and the other two were found by me around a river in east central Illinois. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im thinking about tumbling the smaller two rocks, what do you think? Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• Metal Detector Finds 129.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 129.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 471
  • Metal Detector Finds 128.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 128.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 462
  • Metal Detector Finds 127.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 127.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Metal Detector Finds 126.jpg
    Metal Detector Finds 126.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 442

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 2 smaller ones i believe are agate hard to come by in sizes much larger due to glaciers grinding them down
preeeeety rocks i have boxs of rocks sound kind of dumb hu heheheheh ;D

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pic nr 1 the stoen to the right looks like Quartz with inclusions of oxides or something like that.
on the left one a closer pic would be great. It could be Jasper..A clore pic please.

pic nr 2 could be florite, at least it's big..

# Color is extremely variable and many times can be an intense purple, blue, green or yellow; also colorless, reddish orange, pink, white and brown. A single crystal can be multi-colored.
# Luster is vitreous.
# Transparency: Crystals are transparent to translucent.
# Crystal System: Isometric; 4/m bar 3 2/m
# Crystal Habits include the typical cube and to a lesser extent, the octahedron as well as combinations of these two and other rarer isometric habits. Always with equant crystals; less common are crusts and botryoidal forms. Twinning also produces penetration twins that look like two cubes grown together.
# Cleavage is perfect in 4 directions forming octahedrons.
# Fracture is irregular and brittle.
# Hardness is 4
# Specific Gravity is 3.1+ (average)
# Streak is white.
# Often fluorescent

Hope it helps.. ;)

Upvote 0

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ya know Coinman, you never asked, but the calcite has value, specimens are used all the time for mineral collectors,

I would recommend that you document the place you find any stone, That's because that gives the collector a reference point. A collector of calcite may not have a piece from your locality and might want (pay) to have a new specimen.

Also if you have a new find it might be more valuable.

Finally large clear to nearly clear calcites are highly prised by collectors. Smaller ones are used by teachers all the time.
C ya
Tom

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread