Rock Identification. Any help is appreciated. :]

IzzeRiane

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these 2 stones. From another post, I think I have an Amethyst (the purple), but I have no idea what this blue one is. The way all the blues come together is almost psychedelic. And then there are little white crystals in the middle. The edge is rough all around and have blues and white along with little sparkles in the light. Real or fake? What could it be? Am I right with the purple stone? What are they worth if I decided to sell (if you can disclose that information)? I'm really at a loss, but very interested.

By the way, I hope I did this all right. It's my first post.

Thank you all!

-Izze

Attachments

• SAM_0195.JPG
    SAM_0195.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 902
  • SAM_0199.JPG
    SAM_0199.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 246
  • SAM_0200.JPG
    SAM_0200.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 275
  • SAM_0202.JPG
    SAM_0202.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • SAM_0193.JPG
    SAM_0193.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 347

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome! Sadly I can't give you much of any good news as in my speculations of what it could be..

The first to pictures appear to be a dyed something. Maybe quartz.

The second picture of the sawn and polished piece looks like an agate from Brazil. Possibly also dyed.

It should be said that there is little or no way to say 100% sure from a picture. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
The Common "treated" or "dyed" Quartz stones/geode slices from a tourest trap.. I would stay away from these types.. But if your new.. Once can't help but buy anything and everything.. Make this mistake once.. (unless you like these types of treated stone) now go find some real stones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IzzeRiane

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Common "treated" or "dyed" Quartz stones/geode slices from a tourest trap.. I would stay away from these types.. But if your new.. Once can't help but buy anything and everything.. Make this mistake once.. (unless you like these types of treated stone) now go find some real stones.

I didn't buy them. I found them in a jewelry box that was given to me. I feel like you're rude and I don't appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Izzy
The second piece is a slice of a geode. It is chalcedony, silicon dioxide. The center is quartz also silicon dioxide, just a different form. Not sure about the blue color, it could be natural but could be dyed also.
I can't tell for sure about the first piece but I don't think it is amethyst. Just doesn't look right. Need better pictures.
Do a hardness test. Can you scratch it with a known piece of quartz?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IzzeRiane

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Izzy
The second piece is a slice of a geode. It is chalcedony, silicon dioxide. The center is quartz also silicon dioxide, just a different form. Not sure about the blue color, it could be natural but could be dyed also.
I can't tell for sure about the first piece but I don't think it is amethyst. Just doesn't look right. Need better pictures.
Do a hardness test. Can you scratch it with a known piece of quartz?

I really don't have many stones myself. My friend has a few, so when I found these I decided to post to see if they were anything. I can ask him if he has one but I'm not visiting him for a few days. Can you take these into jewelry stores and have them checked? I really tried to get the best photos I could.Thank you very much. I'll post about the hardness test if I can.

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they are beautiful. The little stone is probably amethyst, but it is really a good sample to show that much color. The other slice IS wonderful. It is all quartz, as the guy before said, part of a geode that was sliced up by a saw, then polished. It is LARGE, the rings inside of it are well defined and the white quartz crystals in the center are great too. It may be natural, we have found stuff just like that just south of the Rio Grande in pre drug killing days. That thick of a slice, that beautiful and well defined sells for $25-$50 (or more) in a rock shop. Prop it up, put a light behind it and you will see why. Good find. As for the rude people, well, rude people suck.

Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repeating what others have said, impossible to tell from a picture. Amethyst is a type of quartz and as such a semi-prescious stone. If it is amethyst, it does not appear to be gem quality. From you're photo, it does not look like one smooth, solid crystal, but a bunch of smaller crystals, fused together. Now that being said, even gem quality amethyst, is not very valuable. I have a piece about 3"X3" gem quality and was offered $15 by a gemologist once for it.

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Capt. The purple stone was tumbled to polish it, may be lots of stuff and you can buy several of them for a $1 at any rock shop. They look cool in planters, gardens and fishtanks. Nobody said it was gem quality, just pretty amethyst. A pretty rock. I have some.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IzzeRiane

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole, "Now go find some real stones" was pretty rude in my eyes. You can give an opinion and information without saying such things. Like "I don't believe these are real but I hope you can find real ones on your search." :] Just saying. Its all good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

IzzeRiane

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they are beautiful. The little stone is probably amethyst, but it is really a good sample to show that much color. The other slice IS wonderful. It is all quartz, as the guy before said, part of a geode that was sliced up by a saw, then polished. It is LARGE, the rings inside of it are well defined and the white quartz crystals in the center are great too. It may be natural, we have found stuff just like that just south of the Rio Grande in pre drug killing days. That thick of a slice, that beautiful and well defined sells for $25-$50 (or more) in a rock shop. Prop it up, put a light behind it and you will see why. Good find. As for the rude people, well, rude people suck.

Thanks so much. :] This reply is exactly what I was looking for. I know you can't tell everything from pictures. I plan on taking them to a psychic fair soon and having them look at the stones. They sell real pieces and I hope they can give me some incite. :D

Upvote 0

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, you just wanted someone to agree with you.? Is that what you do you come to these threads so people agree with you? Thats funny.

Sent via: iPhone 4gS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions