Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559873394.515729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559873413.798288.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559873438.535781.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559873454.684201.jpg

Picked this up long long ago because it was a different looking rock, I actually threw it in my fish tank for a while thinking it was just an odd rock, but it continues to intrigue me. The more I learn about ground stone objects and find examples of grinding stones the more I suspect this may be native, I didn’t want to hijack a previous thread talking about rocks with holes so here it is, rock or real?

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possible nutting stone. Some were used as hammers but I don't see any battering on the edges of your piece. However, those facial scars could be from grinding or sharpening an awl or other bone/stone tool.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have kept it too. The dimple looks like it could have held a bow drill and it could have been used as Tdog suggested. The primarily parallel scars on the one side could be natural but I doubt it.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if the dimple could be from a deposit eroding away , if that’s the case I would think natural

I wonder that too but the rest of the stone doesn’t show any unusual spots, the little iron looking spot I think may be a bit of coral from being in a salt water tank and touching other coral encrusted rock. But other than that it shows nothing else that may erode out.

I thought maybe bow drill hole but I don’t know much about fire making artifacts, it does fit well in the hand. I’m encouraged I didn’t get a list of “it’s a rock” type comments, maybe it was a multi tool and did all of those things

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder that too but the rest of the stone doesn’t show any unusual spots, the little iron looking spot I think may be a bit of coral from being in a salt water tank and touching other coral encrusted rock. But other than that it shows nothing else that may erode out.

I thought maybe bow drill hole but I don’t know much about fire making artifacts, it does fit well in the hand. I’m encouraged I didn’t get a list of “it’s a rock” type comments, maybe it was a multi tool and did all of those things

When I made a socket out of rock and used it for a bowdrill it got very shiny in the depression.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I made a socket out of rock and used it for a bowdrill it got very shiny in the depression.

That’s interesting and something to keep in mind. Do you think that is universal or depends on material type?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That’s interesting and something to keep in mind. Do you think that is universal or depends on material type?

I don’t think you would want friction on that end. Artifact materials I have seen show polish with use wear. Imho this piece looks natural. Holes in rocks occur naturally often for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread