Rock pile and fire pit...

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I didn't know where to put this, so I figured I'd try here for some help.
I know these aren't any treasure markings, but thought some of you might be able to offer some comments. Walking in the woods today(CT state forest) and way off any path.. I came across this old fire pit...the dead tree in the picture was laying over it...
I didn't think much of it..maybe some kids(like I used to be) setting up camp out in the woods..I poked around it awhile and left....about 10 yards away a came upon this rock pile...seeing the lichen(?) on the rocks didn't seem unusual but I lifted one up to look under it and there was no evidence of any growing under it...I'm assuming they had been in that postion quite awhile...I started looking around the general area and found a few stones sticking out of the ground that looked out of place...sorry, some of the pics aren't that good...I'm not sure what to make of all this....if anything...any thoughts would be appreciated..

Attachments

• rk4.jpg
    rk4.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 560
  • rk6.jpg
    rk6.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 550
  • rk7.jpg
    rk7.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 560
  • rk1.jpg
    rk1.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 561
  • rk2.jpg
    rk2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 542
  • rk8.jpg
    rk8.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 543
  • rk9.jpg
    rk9.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 537
  • rk10.jpg
    rk10.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 548

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
Although it is a state forest now, chances are it wasn't always. It looks like a stone pile survey corner to me. It might be a survey corner to an old tract of ground that the state bought. Just my opinion.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
If Spanish legend serves the past in your area, There is a possibility of a military trail cache. There should be some chopped off trees around the stones. Otherwise fish out a triangle from the stone placements and borrow a double box detector to give the place a good once over. Those Spanish characters found their way into every nook and cranny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread