Rock Tumblers for Treasure Hunters?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Though you should never use a rock tumbler to clean collectible coins, there are times when a tumbler can help you in your metal detecting hobby.

My latest podcast tells you how.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes (treasure)

---Dan Hughes

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the Canadian Government decided to get rid of the penny, I had to clean all of my pennies in a hurry...I had a tumbler for years and never used it. I filled it up with water, salt and vinegar and tumbled it for about an hour, and they came out perfectly! I was so amazed at how well it worked considering how bad these pennies were!! You really don't need the gravel since the action of the coins tumbling against each other will suffice!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, why not just toss the coins into a sock bag, or old nylons and toss it into the wash :dontknow:

You'll get the same results without the additional cost of a machine and usage of additional electricity :laughing7:

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
You'll get the same results without the additional cost of a machine and usage of additional electricity :laughing7:

Well, the machine cost me $2.49, and it runs on a 6v power supply - probably a penny's worth of electricity a day?

Seems better than firing up the washing machine, using several gallons of water and quite a bit of electricity too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread