Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was gone for the weekend down to the Yellowstone river hunting for agates with the family and in-laws. Came home with two five gallon pails full of agates and petrified wood for my lapidary enthusiast father in law to slice and or tumble. On the way, right next to a very old fort site, I noticed a fellow detecting a farm field. This looked to be a ridiculously good spot to hunt. I just had to go say hi and see what he was finding. Nice guy, we talked detecting for a few minutes, I wished him good luck, and then headed down to the river. I admit, I wish I could have detected there with him!

It's pretty fun agate hunting. It's like searching for a needle in a haystack, but walking into the sun, it illuminates the agates and they just jump out at you. Here's a couple I kept. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246575.587928.jpg

The smaller one is a rare find apparently, it's a "limbcast". The agate formed around something that later disintegrated, like a branch. It's hollow inside, pretty neat. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246691.619013.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246719.254619.jpg

Today after work I just had to go do some digging. Didn't find much, but did manage two pieces of silver amongst the junk. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246879.690631.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246906.558897.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246931.717807.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502246952.502031.jpg

Upvote 21

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds love the rocks and the silver. Thanks for the great post its fun to read posts like yours Thanks.....,

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interesting post. I see you enjoy any part of hunting and the fun time out with the family.
That's Cool...:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice agates ! Is one of the silvers part of a match safe ?

That's what I would say also, and check to see if the lid has become detached while you retreated it. Made that mistake once got it home then realized I lost the lid in the recovery, went back and couldn't find the hole again at the park. Kind of wished I had being more sloppy in putting the plug back in. I'm not driving back to [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Bradenton Fl now for the lid anytime soon but will share the location.:) [/FONT]

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool rocks. Walking into the Sun to spot them is good advice. I think you have enough of that handle to make a nice spoon ring.
Congrats

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds love the rocks and the silver. Thanks for the great post its fun to read posts like yours Thanks.....,
Thanks A2, much appreciated
Productive day thanks for sharing! Cool rock! HH
Thanks, it was fun searching for a different kind of treasure.
Nice agates ! Is one of the silvers part of a match safe ?
Yes it is a match safe, there is a striker at the bottom.
Congratulations on two successful hunts.
Thanks Tom
Thank you ParkPirate
Thanks for the interesting post. I see you enjoy any part of hunting and the fun time out with the family.
That's Cool...:thumbsup:
I really do enjoy hunting and searching for things, and making memories with the family makes it even more fun.
That's what I would say also, and check to see if the lid has become detached while you retreated it. Made that mistake once got it home then realized I lost the lid in the recovery, went back and couldn't find the hole again at the park. Kind of wished I had being more sloppy in putting the plug back in. I'm not driving back to [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Bradenton Fl now for the lid anytime soon but will share the location.:) [/FONT]
I checked for the lid, no luck. It may be around me there somewhere, but it'll be a chore to find it. The spot has been churned and filled, and churned again over the years. The fairly new little toy car in the pic was extremely deep, yet the match safe was only an inch deep.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really cool finds! Great early silver pieces! Congrats.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice finds and post
Thanks trapper
Those are some cool rocks. Walking into the Sun to spot them is good advice. I think you have enough of that handle to make a nice spoon ring.
Congrats
Hey that's a great idea about making the spoon handle into a ring, I think I'm gonna do that!
Really cool finds! Great early silver pieces! Congrats.

Thanks, although I wish I could find silver as old as you find!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Great to see a mix of finds. Those agates are beautiful.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done JC. The agates are very cool.

I also believe that the silver thing is a match safe.

Best of luck to you sir!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I learn something everyday