rocks and weeds

garrybk

Aug 30, 2012
Hi
I thought maybe if I presented my challenge someone might have ideas how to conquer it. 30 miles from my house + 5 miles of very rough road + a 2 mile bushwacking hike gets you to the place I'm metal detecting. I live in southern idaho. Southern idaho has milder winters than central idaho. In the 1870's pioneers who had farms/ranches in central idaho came south and built shelters of stone, willow and mud next to a stream on the south side of a hill so they could take advantage of the southern exposure. They spent the cold winters in the shelters. I found a reference to their shelters when researching in the local historical society library. The areas is not popular and rugged. It took me four exploritory hikes before I found the site.
The problem is the site is heavily weeded. Also the area is covered with football - basketball size rocks. Its very difficult to swing a metal detector. I spent 3 hours metal detecting there and only recovered a couple pieces of rusted metal. Any ideas? The site is on BLM.
Garry

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you might have better luck looking for chipped stone artifacts there.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A small 4 or 6 inch sniper coil will maybe give you better access between the rocks. Maybe expand your search area away for the rocks. HTH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread