Rocks, Artifacts, and Frustration

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope the moderators don't delete this thread. I am going to try and be helpful and point out some of the things I see happen that cause problems on artifact forums in general, and not simply TNet.

Here are 2 ways in which frustration complicates threads. A person, often with little to no experience, post an ordinary rock to a forum. Happens on every forum I know. There will be many experienced eyes belonging to long term forum members. It is perfectly understandable if the reaction among some of those experienced members is, to themselves, "oh no, not another rock. Sigh...". Thus, weary and feeling no need to go into detail, especially since it is near impossible to describe why a rock is just a rock in this format, rather then in person and handing the rock back and forth to explain, the experienced member may just say "It's a rock".
Now a new poster may interpret that as a bit curt. "That's all you're going to tell me?" And, it may happen, the experienced member may have answered even more curtly, due to the aforementioned frustration. "it's a rock, a waste of our time". Ouch! Bad reply! Does no good at all, gets original poster quite upset. Nothing wrong with a short and sweet answer, but it can be delivered thus: "Thanks for the post and welcome. Unfortunately your find is just an ordinary rock".

another frequent cause of frustration derives directly from the poster asking the question. They are told it is a rock, in so many ways, by so many experienced eyes. But, they become frustrated and they become upset because they are quite disappointed to have the truth tossed their way. They respond along the lines "you people are clueless", "A scientist told me it was, what do you know?, " What makes you people experts?" This is where an eventual outcome of banning may result. If the attacks continue unabated, and especially if PM's are sent to members insulting members, the site is called a joke, etc. then banning may become the only option. On another site on which I'm active, this is how we handle it. We don't ban simply because a rock or geofact is posted. The poster has to get completely out of hand with insults before we ban. That said, I've shown frustration, both here, and elsewhere in the artifact forum universe, it is a continuing problem and a direct result of the difficulties conveying not just meaning, but our attitudes, in a venue that is as far less ideal then face to face as any venue could possibly be. Every time I've let my frustration show where misleading information posted to forums is concerned, I've always regretted it. It never, ever helps.

The best results to such threads are realized when the original poster replies along the lines: "Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I've learned something and hope to find some real artifacts as a result".

Lest I be misunderstood in any way, some of the nicest artifact collectors I have ever met frequent and grace this forum with their knowledge, their generosity, and their great personalities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I hope this doesn't get deleted. It really should be posted on a page along with the rules. At least a warning of sorts should be given to new posters about potential upset and properly handling responses. We all, me included, need to watch how we word things. Black print shows no empathy.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually welcome them to the site and then nicely let them know its just a rock. I dont believe in just saying Geofact and then leaving or I might not even answer the post and still welcome them. Heck Im still learning myself and am no expert and dont claim to be one either. I just enjoy the hunt and will even pick up thick flakes.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite True Charl and Very Good Points! Unfortunately feelings are hurt and the individual becomes quite defensive turning a helpful atmosphere into a challenge contest, which attempts to degrade the forum! I agree with you guys above and fortunately the Mods can intervene to stabilize the situation! In any event Tnet certainly has a GREAT Venue to select from!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys We agree.
I have been collecting for over 40 years. I have seen a lot of members on here who found just rocks and got banned by the other forums for posting rocks. They "now" have learned what to look for and are finding artifacts. We all started at the same place. I agree if someone goes over board and continues after a time to post rocks after we try to help we need to stop it . Nothing wrong with simply saying a rock is a rock. But that being said this is also the place that a new collector comes to learn. To many times I have seen the experienced collector or poster talk down to others. That will not happen here. It is against the rules to talk down to other members. There are other forums where you can act like that. We will see no member belittled .
You should be able to post about lithic technology,theory,median ridges and oblique transverse in one post and a new member show what he thinks might be ancient debri in another without everyone exploding. You do not have to voice your opinion on post that do not interest you.
It is not a contest it is a hobby and it should be a fun hobby. Share your knowledge and try to help others and keep it fun and informative.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Sticky this or similar.

Then responses can be a link back to the sticky. Done.
Personal feelings of rejection and worthlessness do not have to be handled on a forum. IMHOP feelings have no place. If one wants to take their basketball and go home disgruntled so be it. If an experienced member is asked their opinion and gives it without wasting many paragraphs describing pareidolia and reasonings beyond those already stated a thousand times on the forums, then I'm OK with that too. Personally, I'm tired of those threads, think they take up too much wasted time, effort and space and I rarely comment. One of my last on a similar thread was removed. Mods can do as directed regarding Taste Patrol.

hbrown22

Jul 23, 2013
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am one of those "newbies" (although I've always collected artifacts & cool rocks since I was little) and read over lots of threads before I made my first post. I choose to go about my posts with a sense of humor and a not know it all attitude. When I post, I ask, not say, what it is (Is this a scraper? Is this a tool?). If it's not, then I've got some pretty cool rocks around my pool :) Because I ask what it is, I am fully prepared for an answer. It may not be what I wanted to hear, but I asked and therefore invited an opinion. I prefer to be told why or why it isn't something, it's the only way I'm gonna learn. Someone on here told me to look into flint knapping techniques, which I did, and it's greatly reduced the amount of chert I post. I'm still iffy on tools, so I spend my time researching online (any good sites?), and I do apologize for posting rocks. In my mind, it does look like something and it's different than other rocks around. If it appeals to me, I keep it and try to learn more about it. I try to keep an open mind and I value everyone's opinion.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hey guys We agree.
I have been collecting for over 40 years. I have seen a lot of members on here who found just rocks and got banned by the other forums for posting rocks. They "now" have learned what to look for and are finding artifacts. We all started at the same place. I agree if someone goes over board and continues after a time to post rocks after we try to help we need to stop it . Nothing wrong with simply saying a rock is a rock. But that being said this is also the place that a new collector comes to learn. To many times I have seen the experienced collector or poster talk down to others. That will not happen here. It is against the rules to talk down to other members. There are other forums where you can act like that. We will see no member belittled .
You should be able to post about lithic technology,theory,median ridges and oblique transverse in one post and a new member show what he thinks might be ancient debri in another without everyone exploding. You do not have to voice your opinion on post that do not interest you.
It is not a contest it is a hobby and it should be a fun hobby. Share your knowledge and try to help others and keep it fun and informative.

TN, I think when a person starts posting rocks in an ill and spiteful manner, that's when they need to be intervened on. When posting rocks becomes an act of spite, it is obvious. As long as a person is willing to learn, especially after multiple failures, we need to be there to help teach them. I say we, perhaps I should say y'all. Indeed I am one of the targeted here.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote: From N.C "TN, I think when a person starts posting rocks in an ill and spiteful manner, that's when they need to be intervened on."

Yes sir. Please know that we are not always in here or on line as we have to work also. But when that happens we will delete the post or lock it.
You are not being targeted here.
:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post geofacts from time to time if they look cool. I found a GF today that looked like a animal but it was broken where the head would of been. All the cortex was still on it so I know it wasnt shaped by human hands. But if I was a new hunter I would swear it was more than a rock cause of its shape. I left it behind but it was cool looking it even had legs on it. It was a flint nodule in a strange shape.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been collecting and hunting artifacts for a long time. When I first started I picked up a lot rocks, but was told by friends that it was just a rock. There is an old saying(Fool the eye and you fool the mind), you want to find artifacts so bad that your eye see something and your mind says it is one. Only with time and handling of worked stone and artifacts will you understand what is a chip or a tool. Heck I still ask people what some things are, that's how you learn:occasion14:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have been collecting and hunting artifacts for a long time. When I first started I picked up a lot rocks, but was told by friends that it was just a rock. There is an old saying(Fool the eye and you fool the mind), you want to find artifacts so bad that your eye see something and your mind says it is one. Only with time and handling of worked stone and artifacts will you understand what is a chip or a tool. Heck I still ask people what some things are, that's how you learn:occasion14:

The highest formal education in this field rarely provides certainty. I think our observation in the field is probably more valuable. We haven't had textbook info. Or lectures to narrow our natural intellect.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are great and knowledgeable and have never made me feel like I'm dumb, even tho I've posted alot of rocks lol...there was one lady however who wouldn't stop on me and I forgave her because she's British and they are bit different than Americans. ;-) Very glad she don't bother me now tho and prolly because I ignored her and I stopped posting anything but shards. I have noticed some of the comments the noobies with attitudes have posted and was thinking to myself "yeah that's a rock dude", but I kept it to myself. If someone chooses to get all pissy, well then they need to keep their mouth shut, a rock is a rock, if it's pretty then use it for decor, that's what I do and have a nice collection out in my walkways of my potential artifact rock thingies lol

Keep up the fantastic work and tips Tnet experts...most of us appreciate every bit of it!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear All! I think this has been an excellent thread! Obviously we all have varied interest and expertise!! Fortunately WE can all gain knowledge from each others strengths!! This Forum gives us the ability to gain information we would never had in the past! I truly enjoy reading the posts given by folks who I know are quite busy, but take the time to spread their knowledge and expertise!! In any event I, as one appreciate the format and thank ALL of YOU for you knowledge!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for specific materials, especially those known to be used in your area: (generally!!!) workable and flakes with concoidal flake scars. Flint, Chert, Chalcedony, Obsidian, Jasper, etc, etc, all the same cryptocrystalline quartz. Same with hardstone and bone and shell.
These materials often stand out from the general duff of regular rocks and soil due to their color and luster. Always look for just the tiniest showing of such material. The piece can be complete under that little piece.

Look at the piece. I have never known someone to actually look at a piece and not see the deliberate flaking (or grinding) of the edges, both bifacial and unifacial......or just obvious natural and non human altered.
If you can't see this one thing you must have someone show you, though pics show it all too........ You will have to recognize purposeful flaking from random breaking. Once you recognize that you can see use-wear from the tool/point being used and/or resharpened (cause it's just more work to see and feel!). Really easy as pie. Grinding is the same, once you feel and see it on an artifact you will never forget it.

If you are looking in your mind for a christmas tree shaped arrowhead about 4-6 inches long you will miss all kinds of other points and tools, broken and whole. You will walk right over a bone tool. If you spend longer than a minute or so with a loupe and can't see for sure it's been worked, then it isn't. Always look at every edge of a piece to look for work, many paleo tools are expedient flakes with unmistakeable work. If you are looking for effigy fish or faces or heads or animals.....I would like to walk behind you when you hunt.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tomc lark!! Thanks for a Very Interesting Review!! I have texted with GatorBoy and he has explained to me what he does to look for arrow points and shards!! I actually have a shell midden in my yard in Florida and have multiple pottery shards but no points!! In any event, I appreciate your comments and will attempt to incorporate your suggestions in my next hunt!! Thanks Again!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are words of experience.
Nicely done Tom.
To anyone new... this is a blessing of a venue to have at your disposal.
The amount of experience gathered here to freely offer their help is impressive and it's free...

Last edited:

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind people posting their rocks for identification. The most popular forum is........ What is it ? Everyone loves trying to solve the question. One guy posted a flintlock hammer badly corroded and it stumped some of the... "experts".

We can all learn something here.

Attachments

• 1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    977.1 KB · Views: 169

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 7.62 Slo-Mo Impact Shot MIKE!! Good Point though!! Hope All is well in the Delta!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread