ROCKS FOUND PROSPECTING LAST WEEK

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some rocks that made it to my coat pocket while I was out poking around last week. Maybe next time I will find gold instead of pyrite and biotite. P1050282_2.JPG P1050287_2.JPG P1050292_2.JPG P1050306_2.JPG P1050313_2.JPG P1050317_2.JPG

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET! Looks like you have some good minerialization in your area. The last photo shows what appears to be copper ore. Cool finds! :icon_thumleft:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my buddies works in a mine in troy montana that produces copper ore that is purple like the top middle picture. Pretty cool looking stuff.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Top middle picture is "Peacock ore," which is copper. I found some locally, but it's not in enough quantity or quality to mine it. The left hand top looks like lava, almost pumice. After that I'm not a rock person, but if the rocks are heavier than they should be for their size, have someone that is knowledgeable check it out, looks like your are in a mineralized area.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the top middle has the signature green for copper ore. Break it open. Could be a beautiful rock inside! Tnx. TTC

philski

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2014
Sheffield Tasmania
Detector(s) used
x terra 705, gpx5000, xt1700
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

i know this is an old post, but may help someone in the future.

Peacock ore is called Bornite. A deep purple coloured copper ore is Covellite.
Bornite will go bright purple and electric blue and Chalcopyrite too, if its been treated. The majority of the peacock ore you see on ebay is only Chalcopyrite wrapped in copper wire and dipped in vinegar to make the colours vivid. Bornite is natural and has lots more copper in it.

The couple of specimens with holes are Gossan and are fantastic indicators to whats below. They are related to the Volcanically hosted massive sulfide body. They are Ferromanganese in composition.

The Red stained Quartz looks to have a trace of Wolfram on the front and the brown crystals on it are Barite.

i presume you have some granite around too to mention the biotite mica and that would explain the wolfram in the quartz. you need to be a bit further away from the pluton if your after gold.

hope that helps
Phillip

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

i know this is an old post, but may help someone in the future.

Peacock ore is called Bornite. A deep purple coloured copper ore is Covellite.
Bornite will go bright purple and electric blue and Chalcopyrite too, if its been treated. The majority of the peacock ore you see on ebay is only Chalcopyrite wrapped in copper wire and dipped in vinegar to make the colours vivid. Bornite is natural and has lots more copper in it.

The couple of specimens with holes are Gossan and are fantastic indicators to whats below. They are related to the Volcanically hosted massive sulfide body. They are Ferromanganese in composition.

The Red stained Quartz looks to have a trace of Wolfram on the front and the brown crystals on it are Barite.

i presume you have some granite around too to mention the biotite mica and that would explain the wolfram in the quartz. you need to be a bit further away from the pluton if your after gold.

hope that helps
Phillip

Thanks, it's very interesting, and it sure helped me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread