Rocks from last outing, some strange ones.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I was out gold prospecting last week but just found some cool rocks. Most of these are from the N Fork Teanaway River. I'm mostly curious about what the funky banded ones are and the purple one. At first I thought the banding was just some sort of stain based on the patter but I broke one open and it's part of the texture of the rock, goes through. The purple one my jaw kind of dropped when I found it. This rock is seriously purple, lavender I guess. I've never seen a rock close to this color, when the purple is scratched the dust becomes rust colored but the purple remains beneath. Any clues. I included more pics just for your viewing pleasure, I think the red ones are jasper and the resta re just cool.

DSC02434.JPG DSC02435.JPG DSC02436.JPG DSC02437.JPG DSC02439.JPG DSC02438.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The banded ones could be sandstone. If metamorphosed even bordering on quartzite. Or plain quartz, in the rare occasion.

Sandstone, on a freshly broken surface can kinda feel and look like sandpaper. Check under magnification!
Quartzite does not.

Some of the red ones might be limestone. Often has a matte surface. Check if it reacts to vinegar or another acid you have at home. Should bubble and fizzle.

The purple one I'm not sure about. The image is slightly blurry. Just enough to not see the surface features. :)

On the last pic there is a green & Black stone. Might be Skarn.

The second pic contains a "whiteish" one with fragments glued together. Might be breccia. But since it also has rounded "fragments", conglomerate is also a possibility.
The latter (conglomerate) is compacted river sediments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's more like a sandstone but I think it has been metamorphosed. Sort of an in between quartzite-sandstone sorta thing. The purple one doesn't have any features really, it's smooth and the texture is that of just a regular old nothing special about it rock, I don't think I want to break into it. I'm leaning toward oolitic jasper now for the ones you said could be conglomerate and skarn. The conglomerate looking one isn't sedimentary I don't think, the white parts appear to be round and I don't think they're other rocks. I need to polish it maybe to tell better. It is somewhat brittle. The other one looks a lot like this picture of oolitic jasper to me.
P-040-409440335-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread