Rollercoasters & lost money

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Rollercoasters & lost money

last week I was riding a rollercoaster (Superman @6 Flags) and noticed a bazillion coins on the ground. Of course it's all inside a fenced area with warning signs stating Danger--high voltage (something to that effect) No Trespassing if caught you'll be banned for life. YET I see squirrels in that area w/o incident.

Anyway what does the Amusement park do with all the money lost during the rides? Do they collect it daily?

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Rollercoasters & lost money

Cool Topic Vibes, I don't know what they do about retrieving it either? We was at the Amusement park Kings Island this Summer and I also seen the same thing, plus they had catch nets across the walkways for where the rides go over the top and in the catch nets I seen credit cards, a Wallet, and other interesting things. I guess there not allowed to gather these items until the park is closed?

Nova Treasure

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

I have a great story to add here -- one of my most rewarding set of finds ever in terms of research paying off. I learned the site of an old amusement park from the early 1900s is now Marist College in Poughkeepsie. The old Rollercoaster went along the edge of what is still the old stone wall. Behind the stone wall is all the woods you see in this old photo of the coaster and the park on the far left. To the right of the coaster today is a baseball field of newer land and higher up dorms and pavement. The real interesting part is that there's a narrow strip of original land between the stone wall and the ballfield that has been eroding away and is as narrow as just a few feet in some places before it drops off to the ballfield. This would have been right under the coaster. I started checking this land and got a great silver hit and pulled out a Merc right on that narrow strip of land between the stone wall and the ballfield, then a second Merc within a few feet. I went on the other side of the stone wall and found that a large tree had grown up and carried old cable from the roller coaster up in the air with it. I found old bottles, a good sign. I wasn't having any luck then all of a sudden in a 10 ft area I found two silver quarters from the 1930s, a barber dime and...drum roll, a spectacular Barber half. I have been lucky enough to find 4 barber halves and this is one of the two best. I few trips later I also found a large cent in the same area, because before it was an amusement park it was an estate (this all overlooks the Hudson River). I figure maybe some of this came from people walking through the woods to look at the Hudson, go to the bathroom, etc., but at least some of it flew off the coaster, the way I found it all in that one area it seemed to make sense. Here's photo, cool stuff!
http://www.coasterglobe.com/features/lostlegends-bluestreak/bluestreak1.jpg

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

bergie,

I LOVE your story and the pic!

Makes me want to research old amusement park locations. What fun:)

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always ask "oldtimers" where the amusement parks and picnic grounds used to be. These folks LOVE reminiscing and will usually be glad to provide some great tips on locations!
Scott

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great Story Bergie and Geat finds, I also have dug at old Amusement parks and made some Cool finds.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

so I've been doing a little thinking and decided to don a squirrel outfit and grab all the monies.

Here's my costume, I think I'll blend.

Attachments

• 123.gif
    123.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 176

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I guess they let the squirrels in because thier families won't sue the pants off of them if they get squished.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That squirel looks like a very proud male! I always thought they hid their nuts? And remember the score is Monty 11, squirrels 0.

Seriously, I attended a German fest in Texas when I was visiting my daughter last spring. They had two rides that turned the riders upside down. I went out the next day intending to find all the lost coins and things and found nada. I talked to a local who said that every night after the fest closed a couple of carnies went out with a metal detector and picked up all the coins and eyeballed the others. Monty

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Nuts I say, nuts.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

vibes said:
so I've been doing a little thinking and decided to don a squirrel outfit and grab all the monies.

[/quote
I would think that you may want a squirrel wheelbarrow to push around in front of yourself :wink:.. Gpurs...

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

vibes said:

with that costume, you should have a big enough sack to carry all your treasure.

Nova Treasure

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was watching a show on the tv the other night on amusment parks kinda a behind the scenes gig an that was one of the jobs was collecting coins an stuff from the spots around the park like fountains under rides etc

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I know what they do with it...

When the 'man' isn't looking, the staff jumps the fence and collects all the cash, then go's and buys beer, drugs or whatever. I doubt they would give it back to the 'man'. And for that matter, I dont' blame them, because they probably get minimum wage anyway.

Lesson be learned: Dont' ride the superman... I saw that ride and I pooped my pants just watching it from the ground. Doubt they would pick that up thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions