45.7 KB · Views: 1,975
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find. 1 in 14 rolls is a better percentage than I am currently getting. Hope there is more to come!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hothgar said:
Congrats!

I'm at $500 in dimes so far this week - no silver!!

Hothgar

Ouch, that sucks! I have gone through a drought like that as well and then all of a sudden you will get lucky and find a couple your next time out :)

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
My small bank is my dumpsite for change (which i roll). I've found that if you say that your nephew collects coins, and likes to hunt through rolls for older coins, the tellers will find rolls they think will be older (that people have brought in). If i say they are for myself they seem more stand-offish. So, the nephew factor it is!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hothgar said:
My small bank is my dumpsite for change (which i roll). I've found that if you say that your nephew collects coins, and likes to hunt through rolls for older coins, the tellers will find rolls they think will be older (that people have brought in). If i say they are for myself they seem more stand-offish. So, the nephew factor it is!

All of the tellers at the banks that I go to are generally younger girls. I just go in there and flash them a smile and they will do about whatever you ask of them. ;)

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Looks like i spoke too soon. Found a great looking 64-D dime in my second to last roll.

These bank rolled rolls are irritating, gotta tear em to pieces, then re-roll in a new wrapper.

Worth it though!

Hothgar

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hothgar said:
Looks like i spoke too soon. Found a great looking 64-D dime in my second to last roll.

These bank rolled rolls are irritating, gotta tear em to pieces, then re-roll in a new wrapper.

Worth it though!

Hothgar

What kinds of rolls are you getting? The rolls that I get are clear plastic and you can just look right down the side of the roll and a silver dime and most foreign coins stand out like a sore thumb. For an example, throw 10 dimes into a pile and one silver dime, squish them all together and spot the silver dime.

Hope this helps you out.

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
I've seen those clear plastic rolls before - here the "bank rolled" coins are what people call shotgun rolls. TIGHTLY wrapped around and curled at the edges so you can see the top coin on both sides. only way to get at the coins is to destroy the wrapper - and hence my continuous need for more rollers.

And yeah - that's how i check dimes - silver ones are easy to spot. Same with quarters. Cept i check a few quarters for errors as well (wisconsin mainly).

Hothgar

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
i think im going to roll up all the bicentennial quarters i have and just give em to the bank. Don't think its worth keeping em - what do yall think?

Hothgar

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hothgar said:
I've seen those clear plastic rolls before - here the "bank rolled" coins are what people call shotgun rolls. TIGHTLY wrapped around and curled at the edges so you can see the top coin on both sides. only way to get at the coins is to destroy the wrapper - and hence my continuous need for more rollers.

And yeah - that's how i check dimes - silver ones are easy to spot. Same with quarters. Cept i check a few quarters for errors as well (wisconsin mainly).

Hothgar

I just push through on one side of the wrapper and tug at the other side until the coins come out. Then I just re-wrap those shotgun rolls and drop them off at another bank.

As for the bicents, it doesn't hurt to keep them unless you need the cash on the spot. Just hoard them all for your great great grandkids ;)

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Silly kitty cat hit enter. But, i've tried that with these bank rolled ones and i just dont have any luck.

As per the bicents - i have a problem with keeping too much stuff. All sorts of stuff. Free after rebate computer CRAP. Last thing i need is a bucket of these. I got a roll of uncirculated bicent halves, so will keep those for sure, but im gonna just toss these others. Don't need the cash, but i think i'll feel good about it!

Hothgar

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so to be stupid,habit isnt 55 a key or semi key coin dont have my book handy?

OP
OP
JandM

JandM

May 8, 2005
dekalb33 said:
so to be stupid,habit isnt 55 a? key or semi key coin dont have my book handy?

Actually I don't know much about coins....It's 1955s so if you find out tell me.....I definitely need to buy a book...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread