Rolls vs Boxes vs Bags

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I just recently got into this, and e-mailed my bank to ask about how best to go about doing this from there end, in an effort to be polite and gain more knowledge. Their simple response was "The main branch should have a good amount of coin for you to buy/exchange whenever you like.", so they seem not to mind. I went in to exchange my most recent break, spoke with the teller about possibly doing a box. The teller was kind enough to talk to the manager about it, and they asked if I would do bags instead, to keep from wasting the paper. Not sure I want to be in this that much right now as I'm just beginning and have a limited budget, but wanted to get more educated/experienced input on which yield the best finds. I do pennies, so hoping for mainly wheats and the 2009's right now, still learning what to look for on the rest (variations/errors etc). So, any input or advice would be appreciated! Thanks all, best of luck hunting!

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags are way easier I agree with the bank. You won't waste time rolling and unrolling. Now just line up a few dump banks with machines you can dump into. I pick banks that will not sell bags off their machines. Best of luck. Sounds like you are half way to a nice set up!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a bag rather than 2 boxes if you can tie up $50 for a few days. In my experience, the finds are better from bags.

The thing that will get you the farthest as far as your relationship with your bank is to dump somewhere else, not where you pick up. They might say that it is ok to both pick up and return coins, but they always get tired of it. Even if it is just a different branch of the same bank, that is ok. A different bank is best though.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Go for the BAGS, gives rise to catching a full collection dump right then & there, rather than be taken to a coin processor where the coins will get mixed in with thousands & thousands. Just hope that there is NO OTHER CRH dumping cents. I usually ask some of the tellers if there is any other BIG DUMPERS, or is it minor drops by customers.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your "breaks" are your dumps... And you're breaking where you pick up your coin. Make sure you change that up like mentioned by looseChange.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
BAGS! Where I live bags are difficult to get a hold of. When ever you can, get one. You do not have to unroll the coin (saves a lot of time). There is also the chance of a collection dump. $50 in cents is not a lot to have invested in this game. If you need more money do some odd jobs, Uber, etc. Dedicate those funds to CRH.
On the other hand I just found a 1914 D from a roll that came from a box, this is the only cent we have found this year to fill a hole in our "Found in the Wild" book. We had to search the equivalent of 40 boxes to find one coin needed.
Quantity = Success in this hobby. It does not really matter where the coins come from.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I've been going to different branches of my bank, cycling through the 3 in my area. Sorry, I'm not quite used to the terms yet, when I say "break" I mean going through the coins, I guess "hunt" would be more appropriate. I'm a recent convert from sports cards collecting, "breaks" were opening a new case to see what hits you got... I definitely am looking into opening up an account with a separate bank, use that as a place to purchase coins, then return them to my original where I have my normal account... Thanks for the advice though, greatly appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread