Roman Coin find in Crestview, FL ???

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I ran into a guy detecting on Pensacola Beach a couple of weeks ago and I just started some small talk about detecting, etc. He said that he had recently found over 100 ancient Roman copper coins in a clay pot right off Hwy. 90 in Crestview. I asked if he meant Spanish coins instead of Roman, but he said he was very sure since he said he had them identified.

The guy seemed normal enough but I'm still having trouble believing it - granted it could have been someone else's collection that had somehow gotten lost but this is just too strange. Has anyone up in the Panhandle area heard anything regarding this find?

Pcola

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
DISCLAIMER: I have not seen any of this with my own eyes. I do not swear to it.

Roman coins have been found on the Gulf coast before. Try googling "Roman coins" Texas . It even made the beginning of one of Clive Cussler's novels.

IMHO both Roman and Phoenician ships made one-way trips to America, but did not get home to talk about it.

Chip V.

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
i havent heard anything on it. i would think our illustrious channel 3 news team would have checked it out if it was true. dont think you could hide news like that for long ???

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I know this whole things sounds VERY unlikely, but I swear the guy didn't appear to be bragging or spinning a yarn so to speak. The way in which he told me was more like, "dang all I found were these old crappy, Roman copper coins from 200 A.D.". He obviously convinced me enough to post this, but I could have just taken a B.S. story hook, line, and sinker.

Oh well I guess we'll never know for sure unless he comes out of the woodwork with evidence of the find...but remember you heard it here first! ;D

Pcola

HVACRALL

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Crestview Fl.
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HVACRALL

I ran into a guy detecting on Pensacola Beach a couple of weeks ago and I just started some small talk about detecting, etc. He said that he had recently found over 100 ancient Roman copper coins in a clay pot right off Hwy. 90 in Crestview. I asked if he meant Spanish coins instead of Roman, but he said he was very sure since he said he had them identified.

The guy seemed normal enough but I'm still having trouble believing it - granted it could have been someone else's collection that had somehow gotten lost but this is just too strange. Has anyone up in the Panhandle area heard anything regarding this find?

Pcola

I do not about the guy spoke to but I was on a find along hwy 90 east of crestview where we found almost 400 roman Greek coins I still have almost one hundred of them. yes they where authenticated.but i was also told that they didn't hold much value all bronze and a couple where brass.dating around the BC area from a few hundred years before and after.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are currents that to this very day carry debris of vessels lost at sea to the area off of padre island . texas * if during the old roman times ships were badly damaged off say -- britain or spain --and helplessly floated acroiss the atlantic it is possible if any of the crew survived that they would be "stuck" here in the "new world" never able to return home

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are powerful currents within the ocean--like the gulf stream for exsample (much like a river) one of which to this very day carry's debris of vessels lost at sea to the area off of padre island . texas * ---if during the old roman times ships were badly damaged off say -- britain or spain --and helplessly floated acroiss the atlantic it is possible that if any of the crew survived that they would be "stuck" here in the "new world" never able to return home --just think about all the debris from japan via the japanese tsunami that floated all the way across the pacific ocean to the west coast just recently (one thing that floated across was a vessel) :laughing7:

Last edited:

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
if worth anything, I know 2 Roman coins was found south of Augustine..

HVACRALL

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2012
Crestview Fl.
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some thought. I do not believe that all the trouble to prove roman coins have been found in theses places. do like i did and look it up.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are powerful currents within the ocean--like the gulf stream for exsample (much like a river) one of which to this very day carry's debris of vessels lost at sea to the area off of padre island . texas * ---if during the old roman times ships were badly damaged off say -- britain or spain --and helplessly floated acroiss the atlantic it is possible that if any of the crew survived that they would be "stuck" here in the "new world" never able to return home --just think about all the debris from japan via the japanese tsunami that floated all the way across the pacific ocean to the west coast just recently (one thing that floated across was a vessel) :laughing7:[/QUOT

Got that right Ivan . Before the national seashore on Padre(1950's) my cousin and I found quite a few gold and silver coins, some of which are still there because I was too young(9-10) to carry the half full bucket of them back to the truck, so I buried it, marked it and never found it again. Maybe someday...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread