Roman Constantine I coin Found on ebay (uncleaned coins)

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi All,

Purchased 10 uncleaned roman coins on ebay for $19.00 plus 5.00 shipping. Only a couple of them were readable. Here is the best one. If there are any ancient coin buffs out there I would really like to know how rare or valuable this is. The coin is the size of a dime.

Found some info on the internet but no indication of value or rarity.

The info is:

Constantine I "the Great"
as Augustus AD 307 - 337
AE AE 3 - Half Centenionalis

Obverse: IMP CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG - Helmeted laureate bust right, cuirassed.
Reverse: VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP - Two Victories facing and inscribing VOT PR on shield placed on altar.
Mint marks:
exergue - PT
Ticinum mint: AD 318

References: CoinsCatalog.com ID 3071

Thanks in advance!
SoupBone

Attachments

• Constantine I.JPG
    Constantine I.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Constantine I victories.JPG
    Constantine I victories.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
I paid roughly 24.00 for a coin or two that came across the world to Alabama from a time 1700 some odd years ago to my doorstep where I uncovered it myself from a dirt ball and cleaned it to what you see in these photos. Don't think I will sell this one. I think I will do it again because It was worth the thrill the first time. My children are learning a great deal too when I show it to them and tell the story behind it. Personally I do not think I am getting ripped off.

Just my Roman coins worth,
Soupbone

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Soupbone,

I totally understand the thrill. I know you can't see it now, but these guys see people like you coming. Personally, I have many of the very same coin that you have posted a picture of and I have tried to sell these in the same condition at shows for years for $7.00 each and have a hard time getting rid of them for that price. Now, putting them on the internet and selling them to people who don't know any better; well, for some, that is priceless.

I paid roughly 24.00 for a coin or two that came across the world to Alabama from a time 1700 some odd years ago to my doorstep where I uncovered it myself from a dirt ball and cleaned it to what you see in these photos. Don't think I will sell this one. I think I will do it again because It was worth the thrill the first time. My children are learning a great deal too when I show it to them and tell the story behind it. Personally I do not think I am getting ripped off.

I've seen this go on for many years. I know people personally who are my friends who USED to do the very same thing as you who now have a lot of 'junk' coins after having spent a small fortune. The only reason that I try to caution people (and educate them) regarding this is because I would like to see more people learn more about ancient Roman coins and become REAL, knowledgeable collectors. Instead of people being taken advantage of.

I am glad to hear about your children learning from this and you telling them the story behind it. However, I would be careful of giving them false/untrue or inaccurate information. Kids learn fast, and they may get into this even deeper than you. If they do, they may come back to correct you. And you may not look so smart to them at that point. I think that what you tell them now, from the little that you know, may be more akin to "tall tales" than something of real substance. Just try to put this into perspective so that you have a realistic view of it all.

Tell, me this, to you, is this just a passing interest? Or is it something that you really want to know a great deal more about? What are your true motives in this? Is it a thrill derived from the perceived idea of a chance at instant wealth, or is it something more substancial? If it is only the idea of a chance at a get-rich-quick thing, then you will lose interest in the subject of ancient Roman coins and history (at least to some degree) and go on to something else. Is your interest a truly noble one? That is something that I think you should ask yourself and then think about it as something that you may or may not want to pass along to your children.

You want to be a good example to them, I would think. I understand all that you have said. And I know that there are a lot of people here who visit and post to TN who have the very same kind of thrill that you describe and get it in much the same way. I have felt that way and still do (I still get excited about finding something of great value); but I have become much more honest with myself about it and hope that others will too. There are far too many people who are into things for selfish reasons and they do not realize that they are not being particularly good examples for the next generation. Just something to think about. I wish you well. I am sure that there will be many more opportunities for you to discover thrilling things - both for your own pleasure and for you to share with your children. Kindest regards,

JDSCOIN

BTW, if you want to learn more about ancient Roman coins I would start by learning about each of the Roman emperors. You can make a timeline of them for yourself and your kids and collect coins from each. That is one way that people begin to learn and collect these coins. This can help you to become familiar with what coins of what emperors are rare and which are not (generally speaking).

Then as you go along, you can learn about the history of each and the denomination of coins that were used in each period. I know that a lot of people want to learn more and if I can find the time to do so, I would like to create a site that can help to do that.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
My kids are learning a lot from reading this post too. They understand how the love of money can turn you into a puffed up self centered know it all that needs recognition. I bought the coins to have a piece of history and to let them see it too. And if I find something valuable that is just icing on the cake. Just the fact that seeing this coin will introduce to them history not seen in their history books. And If they wish to persue ancient coins in the future It will not be an embarassment to me if they know more than me. In fact it would be a delight. Me and my kids know that the real treasure is in Heaven and all the coins in the world can't get you there.

Soupbone

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you can look at it this way...You probably figured you were going to get nothing. You got something that the little boy in the 47 year old fart sitting at this keyboard thinks is "REALLY COOL!" $24 ain't much to get that kind of reaction.
Footnote: I called an ancient antiquities and coins company in Charlotte, N.C. after seeing one of those deals on ebay. The guy at the "coin shop" had the same attitude as JDSCOIN, that I would get nothing much from these unclean coins and they recommended that I not buy them. They invited me to come to their office and look at some really nice high quality Roman coins that they had starting in the $700 range and going up quickly from there.

Nice $24 coin Soupbone, I'm excited for you!! You rock!!

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks Ramapirate. Good to have someone in my court. I think that is what his angle was too. Sucking me in to purchase coins from his website. By the way I bought some more coins online from a different vendor. A little cheaper though. They were 14.00 plus 3.00 shipping for 10 coins. I just love blowing my money on these coins!

More history coming to my doorstep!

Thanks,
Soupbone

mobrigade

Feb 23, 2005
Missouri
Its nothing more than a hobby, I am a serious Civil War collector, but I see people go through the (brass junk pile) at shows for hours. If that is what trips their trigger go for it (my Dad is one of them). I like you just "like" Roman coins, I ordered a set four or five years ago, cleaned them and put them up, I wasn't buying them for my retirement, just more curiosity....soupbone, knock yourself out, I'm glad ya'll enjoy them, just remember if your gonna spend thousands of dollars on coins, go to a dealer that will get you a "real" good deal on a $1000.00 coin ;D. At this point your kids couldn't care less if they were million dollar coins or ten cent coins, bottom line your spending quality time for the children, my little one loves coins, she doesn't know an indian head from a roosevelt....yet. Just my two uncleaned Roman cents worth.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
You are so right. It is just a hobby along with my many others. Canoeing, photography, metal detecting, kayaking, metal detecting, fishing, metal detecting. Did I mension metal detecting?

My 401K hopefully will be enough retire on.

Soupbone

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Soupbone,

It was not a very nice thing to say what you did about my wanting to suck you in to buy coins from me from my website...

Good to have someone in my court. I think that is what his angle was too. Sucking me in to purchase coins from his website.

I don't have any ancient coins for sale on my website and never have. That is not to say that I won't ever. My concern was one as an expert in the area of ancient coins and ancient history. I do what I do to educate people to these things as a good deed.

As I said before, I understand the thrill that you have. But I also know about this from the other side, the side of those who are taking advantage of people like you. If you do not feel that you are getting ripped off, fine. I am not trying to sell you coins. I'd rather keep what coins I have.

The main purpose of my website is to help educate people to coins and that is also what I do here in TN. It took a long time and a lot of studying to learn what I know about these coins. And I am willing to share what I know (for free) with others and that is a good thing. Why must you assume the worst or something bad about someone who has only offered you some insight that you would not otherwise have?

BTW, I wonder if you even read that article on ancient coins. Since I had a discussion here with you about ancient coins, I added a bit to that article and had even planned to write more about the subject of "uncleaned ancient coins" being offered by some on eBay.

Maybe you are not interested in what I have to say or really do think that I have some alternative motive. But you have no real cause to jump to that conclusion. I have never tried to get you to buy anything from me. Nor have I tried that with anyone else here in TN. I only discussed the topic that YOU brought up here.

But I will give the direct link to that article on the subject of attributing (identifying) ancient coins for anyone who may be interested in learning more about ancient coins:

http://jdscoin.googlepages.com/ANCIENT-COIN-ID

I did not expect a "thank you" for being kind and wanting to help. But I also did not expect to be talked down about either. If my info is not appreciated by you, then perhaps it will be by someone else. It is that kind of attitude that prevents people from wanting to help others (to get involved) and so, please consider that the next time you think badly of someone who is just trying to help. Regards,

JDSCOIN

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JDSCOIN,
I'm sure we all here agree that you meant this as a noble gesture on your part. I, speaking from the experience I had with an entirely different person than you threw in my two mites worth. I think what Soupbone is trying to relay to us here that he got something really "neat" that cost him $24.00. He, as I, enjoy fun stuff like that. Most of the ancient Roman coins that they sell on ebay are coins that have been found metal detecting and digging construction sites. There is a better chance than not that anyone buying these will end up with fun coins to show the kids.
Your post hit me, as perhaps it hit Soupbone, as you politely calling anyone that would waste their time buying ancient coins on ebay for $24.00 are at best uneducated dolts.
When I bought my first metal detector at the beach last summer it was a Bounty Hunter made for Radio Shack 2000. My first time out I found $12.00 in clad and a sterling silver necklace. I was hooked! The next day I went to a metal detector store to buy a $30 scooper ($10 less than I paid for my used cheap metal detector at the pawn shop). When I went in the shop and told the guy behind the counter what I needed, I told him a scooper, that I had this really cool metal detector and I was finding clad all over the beach. He asked me what kind of metal detector and I told him. He proceeded to tell me what a moron I was and I'd wasted my money on the pathetic piece of trash I'd bought at the pawn shop. Then he proceeded to show me what I really needed, which was one of his White's starting at $900.00 (he only had the high end stuff). That if I was going to do the hobby I needed to bite the bullet and go in debt for one of these much better machines. I felt like a 6 year old that traded the cow for magic beans. I bought the scoop and apologized for being so pathetic and thought for a split second about giving up the hobby. I didn't though. That afternoon I took my lowly Radio Shack 2000 and my scooper and hit the beach. And I found $17.00 and a cell phone that I returned to the owner. I hunted with that detector for a couple more months and now I have my Garrett Ace 250 (that I'm tickled to death with) and my 2000. I love this hobby, I do it for fun, like all my other hobbies. It's for fun...

Peace ya'll,
Ramapirate

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW....I can understand where everyone is comming from..Just maybe a little too much warning about the lots of uncleaned coins..I think we all understand that it may be 1/1,000,000 to find one that is of good resale value..but like the man says, it is the fun of the hunt and you still have some old history there for the kids to learn from. If I was still a kid, I would of loved finding out what they were on my own and not just buying it in a store all clean with no mystery to it.. Good Luck to all with what you love!

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I enjoyed seeing your coin. I hope you have some more luck with your next batch of coins. Dave I agree with you 100 %

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Thanks Dave and Lucky,

We got a great bunch of guys here at Treasurenet. Thanks for standing in there for the average Joe on the street. We're not as dumb as we seem to be. I am fully aware that those uncleaned coin sellers are taking advantage of a lot of people. I just choose to let them sometimes.

Soupbone

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And per my exaustive post from earlier, I'm way with you also. And it sounds like you are raising your children right, too. The only treasure you store up that doesn't go to the bad is in fact, in heaven.

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Oh you can take it with you alright but some metal detectorist someday will dig it up (just a joke). Ever wonder how many valuables are in the average cematary? I know its morbid to think about but it is true there is probably a fotune in jewels alone!

Yecckkkkhhh!!!

Soupbone

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
That God bestows an Abundant Supply of whatever is suited to the Wants of Man, and ministers but sparingly to his Pleasures; in Both Cases with a View to his Advantage.

LET what has been said suffice to prove that nothing exists without reason and intelligence, and that reason itself and providence are of God. It is he who has also distributed the metals, as gold, silver, copper, and the rest, in due proportion; ordaining an abundant supply of those which would be most needed and generally employed, while he dispensed those which serve the purposes merely of pleasure in adornment of luxury with a liberal and yet a sparing hand, holding a mean between parsimony and profusion. For the searchers for metals, were those which are employed for ornament procured in equal abundance with the rest, would be impelled by avarice to despise and neglect to gather those which, like iron or copper, are serviceable for husbandry, or house-building, or the equipment of ships; and would care for those only which conduce to luxury and a superfluous excess of wealth. Hence it is, as they say, that the search for gold and silver is far more difficult and laborious than that for any other metals, the violence of the toil thus acting as a counterpoise to the violence of the desire. And how many instances might still further be enumerated of the workings of that Divine Providence which, in all the gifts which it has so unsparingly conferred upon us, plainly urges us to the practice of self-control and all other virtues, and leads us away from unbefitting covetousness! To trace the secret reasons of all these things is indeed a task which exceeds the power of human faculties. For how can the intellect of a frail and perishable being arrive at the knowledge of perfect truth, or apprehend in its purity the counsel of God from the beginning?

Constantine I "The Great".
Soupbone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread