Roman, Greek jewelry

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
A friend of mine was offered these items recently,
Any body have an idea of the estimated value of items of this type.
Thanks
Dan
10258.jpeg 10261.jpeg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What are their descriptions?
Weight per piece?
Weight of authenticated gold? Karat weight?
What, if any, maker's marks are on the pieces?
What is the backstory of each piece?
Minor questions like those answered would be helpful to determine a basis for value.
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Don......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are their descriptions?
Weight per piece?
Weight of authenticated gold? Karat weight?
What, if any, maker's marks are on the pieces?
What is the backstory of each piece?
Minor questions like those answered would be helpful to determine a basis for value.
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Don......

Ditto.

OP
OP
D

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
I don't have too much info on them, other then he said they were 24 kt gold, and the descriptions in second image

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You will need more information from your friend for anyone to give you a reasonable answer to your question.
Also,the descriptions given in the second pic are illegible to these eyes. Can you type them out and post?
Don........

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Offer the seller 20 bucks as is. If they act offended just tell them these two words.

Chiemsee Cauldron

OP
OP
D

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
Considering seller is asking 6 figures , I don't think 20 bucks will do it

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Seems pretty chancy that anyone would find these in US. Bet it's from UK. Of course, illegal to offer for sale there, until after the inquest and museums have a chance to bid on them.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering seller is asking 6 figures , I don't think 20 bucks will do it

And how much did the Chiemsee Cauldron sell for, and how much was it really worth, and how much lack of documentation was provided the second sale around and how long did the seller go to prison for.

Just saying, if that is the documentation then 20 bucks is a good deal for the seller.

Then of course checking the sellers WCO Records against the Object ID would be smart as well. As well as having ICOM verify it and getting someone to check the Interpol Posters as well. But only after the gold has proven its age.

OP
OP
D

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
Although you are well educated in history, not so well in current precious metal prices, even if it were scrap it's well worth over 20 bucks. But thank you for your input in the other areas. All things I should check

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Although you are well educated in history, not so well in current precious metal prices, even if it were scrap it's well worth over 20 bucks. But thank you for your input in the other areas. All things I should check

Well thank you, yes I one of my PhD's is in History. In regards to current precious metal prices, that was actually a suggestive favor to the buyer. The routes of verification I suggested that the buyer take are what we suggest at Interpol to ensure that the item does not fall under the Illicit Trafficking of Cultural Property and Stolen Works of Art, but anyone who deals in this sort stuff would know to check our data base for that item, it is after all open to the public, and since the name you dropped early on is flagged in ICOM's data base then paying 20 bucks is just cheap enough to ensure that no matter where the item came from and its owners would not have any fighting chance in court to request extradition.

When dealing with Cultural Property of this magnitude the current spot is about the least of the worries really. The fact that you are here asking around about this and not asking around at all the places a serious legitimate buyer would be asking at sends the wrong signals.

20 USD is low enough to ensure that no court in the world would ever entertain any means of justice on the buyer cross border. Case in point look at all the looted items from Kabul, they where so hot that they got sold off at crazy cheap prices and to date not one buyer has ever seen a court room.

If it where me and I was helping out a friend. I would take that document and pictures, send it off to the fore-mentioned agencies and collect the reward, and keep your friend clean of any dirt. It does after all have an Object ID; it was the first thing I checked when I saw this thread, if you do not believe me then just go to Interpol's website and look it up, the full details on these items are right there.

OP
OP
D

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
wow,, thankfully I asked here, now I understand the 20 dollars, your right I have no clue about this kind of stuff that's why I asked here. I usually stick to coin collecting, I know enough about them to keep myself out of trouble . The guy told my friend that it was in his family for years, I will definitely let him know and what you said, they were definitely out of my league and probably his to begin with.
thank you

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
wow,, thankfully I asked here, now I understand the 20 dollars, your right I have no clue about this kind of stuff that's why I asked here. I usually stick to coin collecting, I know enough about them to keep myself out of trouble . The guy told my friend that it was in his family for years, I will definitely let him know and what you said, they were definitely out of my league and probably his to begin with.
thank you

Its an 18K Euro reward; totally not out of your league by any means as you friend has contact to this person. If you are in the US then you could print off the Object ID online, take it to the DOJ rep and let them know what you know. If you are not in the US then check Interpol's site for member country listings and contact the one best for you.

That is tax free money, and it makes lots of people happy, and it shows another treasure hunter doing something good. We can use all the good PR we can get.

In regards to this being in that persons family for years, it is commonly said, but also it is plausible as well because of the date it went missing. But that would not be your concern, you are just collecting the reward.

Or see if the person would take 20 bucks for it and go turn it in your self for the reward and provide all the details you have on it, No justice system could touch you and all you would have to do is cite the fact that such items are the third most illegally trafficked items in the world with gun at number one, drugs at number two, but holds as much value, has a much larger market, is sold easier than the other two and is the most ignored crime in the world. Pretty sure at that point any judge would start chewing the butt of what ever Fed brought it up and make you look like your being victimized by LEO's for doing the right thing.

You should at least check out the site, pay attention to any of the papers you down load, I have been publishing on this and creating training programs on it since 2005. Very boring stuff actually and you will see why it is ignored so much and you will see that the programs in place before 2006 where a joke.

I have been told it is a good read if you can not sleep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions