Roman Lion Site - Day 3 - ROMAN GOLD RING !!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's plan was just to finish of the outer edges of the Roman Lion Site. As it was the low yield end of the site we were only expecting a few scrappies. However, as we hadn't done this area since the last deep plough we knew anything could have come up.
At the 3 hour point we were OTWBTTC for lunch & travelling down the back edge of the site outside of most of the Roman Scatter when Cru'dad shouted over 'Gold Ring'. Immediately I thought & shouted 'how old?' 'Might be Roman' was the answer. I started walking a bit quicker. When looking at it, I couldn't make up my mind & not remembering any Roman Rings with 3 settings like this one, I thought Medieval. It wasn't until I cleaned it at home & saw the stones were likely Carnelian I changed my mine.
5.5 hours;

15 Roman Bronze Coins
13th C Annular Brooch Pin
Iron Locking Mechanism (Roman)
Debased Roman Silver of Sept Sev.
Hammered Silver Penny of Charles I

Gold washed Roman Snake Head Bracelet - Another find just before the Ring. We were happy with this as I have never seen a Gold washed type!
Extremely Rare 4th C AD Gold Roman Ring with Red Garnets/Carnelian Stones - TREASURE.:hello2: Nice find Cru'dad.
Similar & only one recorded like it, in the Salisbury Museum;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/582011
If you read the above it discusses how rare this type is & I can't find any with the same decorated shoulder. So I look forward to the British Museum's Report. I'm going to guess they will want it.:thumbsup:
This beats my 3 oldest Gold Rings by over 1200 years!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 107
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Side of 4th C Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    Side of 4th C Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Shoulder of Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    Shoulder of Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Top of Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    Top of Roman Gold Ring.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 61
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is a beauty

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt with some very interesting finds. Congrats

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thought, but as Cru'dad is not a member of Tnet he can't be consider for Banner. That's fine though.

Crus, glad you spoke up because the ring is surely worth a banner. It's the thoughts that count.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Time to celebrate
Congrats to Cru Dad.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant Congratulations to Cru Dad !! I agree with the earlier mention that the ring shank and decor are not worn smooth at all - so likely lost fairly soon after it was made - I suppose it would be a bit too crazy to sift the hole location for the missing garnet !

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Bro! You are insane. 26 banner finds? How many items do you currently have being displayed in museums or just generally held onto by the FLO? Way to go!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find! :notworthy:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sir, even though CruDad isn't a member, that ring is incredible and obviously more than Banner worthy as are almost every thing that you two find. Mind blowing in so many ways, is he using a Deus as well? Saying congrats and other things like well done just doesn't seem good enough. guess there were some happy toasts to these finds. I'd say that "they" are going to keep it as well but you have the pics and etc (like us and our returned rings etc). So I am going to say, HOLY COW and Congrats you two! Jerry

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant Congratulations to Cru Dad !! I agree with the earlier mention that the ring shank and decor are not worn smooth at all - so likely lost fairly soon after it was made - I suppose it would be a bit too crazy to sift the hole location for the missing garnet !
Yes, impossible in a ploughed field, it could be metres away. (or not there at all)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bro! You are insane. 26 banner finds? How many items do you currently have being displayed in museums or just generally held onto by the FLO? Way to go!
Not as many as you would think, because they mostly get handed back. The FLO doesn't hold onto anything, they just facilitate the Treasure Act process. It's the British Museum that hold them until a Museum either pays the market value or hands it back if no Museum wishes to purchase it.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir, even though CruDad isn't a member, that ring is incredible and obviously more than Banner worthy as are almost every thing that you two find. Mind blowing in so many ways, is he using a Deus as well? Saying congrats and other things like well done just doesn't seem good enough. guess there were some happy toasts to these finds. I'd say that "they" are going to keep it as well but you have the pics and etc (like us and our returned rings etc). So I am going to say, HOLY COW and Congrats you two! Jerry
He uses my old XP GMP with the stock 9 inch coil.
I quite like that I'm running my Deus 11 inch coil at 12Khz & he runs his 9 at 18Khz, covers the bases a little better.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW what a killer find, congrats to Cru'dad :icon_thumleft: I think it is awesome that you and your dad share the same passion for history and this hobby.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That ring is an absolutely incredible find. Congrats! Yes, it is Treasure! I voted Banner!

Last edited:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys know just how lucky you are to be in an area with such history? I nominated ya for a banner and I'm envious........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread