Roman Metal working Site. My best finds to date!

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sunny couple of hours on this prolific field produced my most coveted find to date. a Celtic Silver Unit of Cunobelin circa 10 to 43AD. Thanks to Cru and Cru'dad for the specific I.D.:notworthy:
a few hours earlier, hit a good signal (lead again ? !) This time a Roman toga'd arm reached out from the soil asking to be rescued after 1,600 years (minimum). The rest of the statuette must unfortunately remain a mystery, for now anyway!
A few decent bronze coins and a good flint scraper completed an exciting weekend.
After just four years hunting, this Celtic Silver will be hard to beat!

Cunobelin. Circa 10-41 AD. AR Unit (1.26 gm). Sphinx Type. Draped bust right, CVNO in front / Winged sphinx seated left on exergual line, TASCIO in front. Hobbs 1874-78; Van Arsdell 2057; SCBC 313.

IMG_8566.JPG IMG_8547.JPG IMG_8552.JPG IMG_8553.JPG

Upvote 2

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was waiting to see this.
2000 year old silver...now that's pretty cool. Congrats on your best find. (I'm sure it's temporary though, meaning you'll soon have another best)

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rick. Simply following in Cru's footsteps! A great mentor! Mind, not much point in doing that literally ? !!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a super find, it must be amazing to hold somthing that hasn't been held or seen by another human since Christ was walking the earth.
ZDD

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely right. feel very privileged and humbled.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW on the the Celtic SILVER! That is a KILLER find! Hoping you recover more of the statue eventually. Will be excited to know what it turns out to be.

BIG congratulations. This post was worth waiting to see!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
landmagnet

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buck. We are all looking out for a one armed roman !!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Beautiful Celtic Silver! Cool to pick some flint up when detecting! I like these fields where everything can be expected... Feelin bad for the poor roman who's missing his arm! Good find for you!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated in the field & will repeat here; I have no statues (other than the bull), & even though its a part piece it tells the story of this site. It was broken up to be melted down & re-used.
We have now found bronze spurls (over spills from the moulds),so we know they were making stuff as well as melting down bronze items.

The Celtic coin, pottery & a couple of my fibula prove this site existed before the Romans. Was it a Celtic metal working site which developed during the Roman period? If so this is an important discovery in our area!

Not sure if everyone remembers but Dad & I only just got over a Celtic Silver drought that lasted over 2 years (therefore over 4 man years)! They are very hard to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread