Romanian hoard, who gets it

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know who gets to keep it, did the government claim it per usual?!

Under Romanian law All finds older than 100 years old are to be surrendered to the relevant authorities within 72 hours.

What is it with you Americans? Not every country operates under your presumption that the government steals everything.

As said, in Romania, finds legally made (ie not from or near recognised archaeological sites) which are more than 100 years old must be surrendered to the relevant authorities within 72 hours. However, the finder is entitled to a reward representing 30% of its total value (split with the landowner where appropriate). The reward increases to 45% of the value for finds deemed to be “treasure” (precious items considered to be cultural assets or of national importance). The authorities have up to 18 months to pay the reward.

OP
OP
Slowtaknow

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it with you Americans? Not every country operates under your presumption that the government steals everything.

As said, in Romania, finds legally made (ie not from or near recognised archaeological sites) which are more than 100 years old must be surrendered to the relevant authorities within 72 hours. However, the finder is entitled to a reward representing 30% of its total value (split with the landowner where appropriate). The reward increases to 45% of the value for finds deemed to be “treasure” (precious items considered to be cultural assets or of national importance). The authorities have up to 18 months to pay the reward.
It was a simple question, your nasty answer wasn't warranted.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would want recognition and $$ if I found something of such significance. That would mean reporting it to the appropriate authority. I might even get a spot on Oak Island for that!!! :laughing7: Are you guys mad at each other? I think the OP yelled at Red-Coat.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would want recognition and $$ if I found something of such significance. That would mean reporting it to the appropriate authority. I might even get a spot on Oak Island for that!!! :laughing7: Are you guys mad at each other? I think the OP yelled at Red-Coat.
Maybe they're still arguing over the Revolutionary War?

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe they're still arguing over the Revolutionary W

Could very well be. Where I live there are historical markers everywhere for "British Retreat Route". All roads lead out from the Battle of Monmouth back to Sandy Hook Bay to wait for ships to get back home. I always felt the signs might provoke at least slight angst for our UK visitors and residents.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could very well be. Where I live there are historical markers everywhere for "British Retreat Route". All roads lead out from the Battle of Monmouth back to Sandy Hook Bay to wait for ships to get back home. I always felt the signs might provoke at least slight angst for our UK visitors and residents.

All is forgiven... or at least will be when you repay us 342 chests of tea.

Independence Day Provider.jpg

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you get a 30% reward! How generous. That means 15% for the land owner and 15% for you! What a deal!

Never ceases to amaze me how people in other countries tolerate ridiculous laws like this one. You must "surrender" the find to relevant authorities within 72 hours? What happens if you don't? They toss you in jail? Unreal...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tim, the cultures in different countries have a lot to do with it. Here in America there is emphasis on individual rights, freedom and liberty. Many other countries (most of Europe) the people have rights, but they are more community based than individual based.

In other words, when they make a valuable find of items from antiquity, the individual doesn't just assume it's theirs....yes, they found it which deserves some reward, but the treasure belongs to the whole country.

In America they say that possession is 90% of the law..more of a "finders keepers, losers weepers".

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Wow, you get a 30% reward! How generous. That means 15% for the land owner and 15% for you! What a deal!

Never ceases to amaze me how people in other countries tolerate ridiculous laws like this one. You must "surrender" the find to relevant authorities within 72 hours? What happens if you don't? They toss you in jail? Unreal...
There are a lot of states where if you find anything older than ______ years you can't touch it period. Value doesn't even matter.

maxmar

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2023

maxmar

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2023

there is also a patrimonial police who is mostly like the secret service police...finding out if you give the treasure to the state. if they are catching you not, you are in big trouble...many many years in prison. and 30% of the evaluation is done by the state which in most of the cases is very low

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let's use the California couple that found the gold coin hoard on their property.
51.6% for taxes on the value.
This has to be paid out by April 15th of the following year.
Face value was $27,000 from the 1472 gold coins.
So is the value $1 million or the reported $10 million?
Most detectorists in countries that have regulations as time lines for reporting, certain percentages for finders rewards, is just part of the process.

Many frown on this as robbery, so on so forth.
The other option is to ban metal detecting entirely.
Parks, cities, schools, the list is many, but many forget the restrictions here.
Oh but what about the 💰.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tax is based on what coins are worth now, not face value so for tax purposes it is on $10 million

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's use the California couple that found the gold coin hoard on their property.
51.6% for taxes on the value.
This has to be paid out by April 15th of the following year.
Face value was $27,000 from the 1472 gold coins.
So is the value $1 million or the reported $10 million?
Most detectorists in countries that have regulations as time lines for reporting, certain percentages for finders rewards, is just part of the process.

Many frown on this as robbery, so on so forth.
The other option is to ban metal detecting entirely.
Parks, cities, schools, the list is many, but many forget the restrictions here.
Oh but what about the 💰.
Good post!

Those that say they would never let the government know if they were to find a stash/hoard don't get that then what they found is worth NOTHING, just something to sit and stare and drool over.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a lot of states where if you find anything older than ______ years you can't touch it period. Value doesn't even matter.
I want to know which states in the US have such laws. I’ve never heard that one before. I’m talking about private property, not some park.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One must take this article with a large grain of salt
Legitimate archaeologists? What is that really, there's illegitimate archaeologists also?:laughing7:
So beware privy diggers if the crapper hole is pre the roaring 20's.
The whole statement is broad brushing in favor of the trowel and paint brush academia.

In the United States, the National Historic Preservation Act and the Archaeological Resources Protection Act work hand in hand to both preserve and claim artifacts found on U.S. soil. These acts spell out what constitutes a historical site or archaeological resource site. For the latter, the site must be at least 100 years old, and remains must be related to past human life or activity. The acts also spell out strict penalties for persons found executing an excavation without a permit.

Legitimate archaeologists are in favor of these kinds of laws because they help protect the integrity of the site. Professionals in the field do not keep, sell or trade artifacts they uncover. Their goal is to record history, plain and simple, and if possible, move the objects as a collection for research and display. Anything found is property of the public, and it's the responsibility of the finder to care for the item for the sake of the public. If you aren't an archaeologist and you happen to stumble upon an artifact in the United States, then you must report your finding. Each state has an office of historical preservation or archaeology, as well as a state archaeologist. They're great resources and the perfect place to start if you find something that has cultural significance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread