Romano British site first recce

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I finally gained access to some land that I have been researching for about 3 years. I have secured permission to detect the land as soon as the wheat crop has been harvested. Today was a kind of eyes only field walk around the boundaries. No old gold or coins today but the surface finds of Roman tile fragments and pottery sherds with some medieval glazed ware sherds have me chomping at the bit to get into the field. Don't think my wife will be seeing me much over the next few months as I am going to be out there rain or shine at all times of day.
Here is a link to a previous post of mine that outlines a bit of research on the site and why I am so excited about this one. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/x-marks-spot/469705-romano-british-villa-site-discovery.html

George.

P.S final photo is local field being harvested today the first of the year and a sign that the season is about to kick off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 5

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cropmarks look a bit odd, but very promising. Wish you luck on that site and hope it isn't hunted by nighthawks. A field with cropmarks like these, available on Bing or Google would be emptyyyy here....

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is go for it and let us know of the results.Good luck to you.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, those are strong cropmarks, the sort of thing that found us many sites. Its the less obivious ones that sometimes do better, having said that your going to do just fine on this.:thumbsup: Grid it carefully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cropmarks look a bit odd, but very promising. Wish you luck on that site and hope it isn't hunted by nighthawks. A field with cropmarks like these, available on Bing or Google would be emptyyyy here....
Danke fur ihre antwort. My first indicator that there was a possible site at this location did not come from Google earth or Bing but from an old OS map(now out of print and newer versions do not reveal the location.) that pinpointed the previously known buried building. The crop marks I have shown do not appear on either Google earth or Bing unless you zero in on the site and manipulate the image by rotating it or using the historical image option. This and the fact that I have lived in the area for many years and know a great deal of what happens here due to being friends with farmers, game keepers and land owners gives me confidence that no nighthawks have been to this isolated and not easily accessable site.

OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, those are strong cropmarks, the sort of think that found us many sites. Its the less obivious ones that sometimes do better, having said that your going to do just fine on this.:thumbsup: Grid it carefully.
Thanks Cru. I think the first visit with a detector will just be some random wanderings to see if I can close in on any hotspots before planning a gridding pattern.
This is the kind of site you just know you cant go wrong.

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks a really good potential site. Keep us all updated please!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread