ROME GA CIVIL WAR CANNON IN GRAVEYARD THREAD INFO

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Re: ATLANTA GA CIVIL WAR CANNON IN GRAVEYARD THREAD INFO

Tried a search for combinations of "cannon" "graveyard" and "Atlanta" and don't see anything, are you sure you've got your facts straight?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't remember the thread off hand either :(

That is Not to say it isn't here, alot of posts have been made in the last year.

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

got the facts straight...like you jeff, there are so many posts and i can't remember the threads subject.....it was in a downtown graveyard,,,it was in the news and there was a link to the story..seems they were going to dig two holes to recover cannons known buried there.......i followed the thread quite awhile till i had back surgery and was offline awhile..........maybe someone will find it or remember it.......

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

thanks fellows....i knew someone on here could remember it....my little pea of a brain short circuited several years back in the early 70s {psychedelic fun} and i kaint membur nuthin............anyway, if any of you can find an update to this you would be my hero and i will owe you one, or two, possibly even three.......thankx , gldhntr

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
you are the winner gypsy....just pm me when you are ready to collect your big favor........for anyone interested i will post info in a couple months as i have been asked to keep it confidential until then due to the surprise value involved.........gldhntr

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I live about 20 minutes north of Rome - a friend of mine owns a piece of property in Floyd County (Rome) that I detect on all the time. I always find something from the CW and we have found what we think may be a powder magazine on the property - trenches and cannon placements can still be seen on the property to this day.

We plan to make an attempt to excavate the area we think may be the powder magazine this winter - hope to find those cannons they have searched for all of these years.

Good to see something local on here - happy hunting!!!

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Any updates yet gldhntr? it hasent been a "couple" of months yet but I didn't want to lose track of this thread.

kenb

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
last i heard is that they were having problems due to an old state law that was found regarding digging in a graveyard..they are trying to work this out now........gldhntr

J

jhunter

i remember that.last time i saw an update on here about it some one was trying to get a permit or somthing to get rich lol.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

There isn't likely to be any action on the possible cannon in Rome, Georgia. Permits to dig would have been possible, but City of Rome was worried about having to notifiy and get community support. Plus, it would have required money to properly conserve the object.

We are presenting the ground pentrating radar and gradiometer results at the South East Section meeting of Geology Society of America meeting in Savannah, Georgia (Hyatt Hotel) on March 29th. That will probably be the end of it.

I happened across this thread today because I'm looking to metal detect in Savannah and was wondering what the rules were for MDing public beaches in Georgia. Any help you can give would be welcome.

Sheldon Skaggs
PhD Candidate
Dept. of Geology
Univ. of Georgia

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Welcome to T-Net Sheldius!! Thank you very much for the update. I guess its safe to say your involved in this? If anything comes of the meeting would you mind posting another update? thank you.

kenb

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yes, I was one of the 3 archaeology students working on that. I specialize in remote sensing along with the analysis of artifacts using geology instruments and techniques.

I certainly will update if anything develops. I'm not sure how much pressure would have to be applied locally for the City to become interested. Oh well.

I'll also be posting any finds from Tybee beach in Today's Finds. A local MD'er has agreed to go out with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread