Rookie - What do you think about these places to start?

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I am a beginner and I would like to a ask the experts if they would go the first time digging and panning in one of this places? 5 km away from these places there was a gold mine

rock.jpg rock1.jpg

Thank you very much

Mike

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of a gold mine, placer, hardrock, vertical shafts, horizontal shafts??........63bkpkr

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net Mik500.
That looks like good river washed rock but kind of hard to tell for sure by the pics. If it is do sone sampling first in several places there before you get too involved. No sence wasting time on dead ground. With a mine near by this could be good placer deposits.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of a gold mine, placer, hardrock, vertical shafts, horizontal shafts??........63bkpkr

Hi

It was a big placer mine from Roman times

Thank you

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net Mik500.
That looks like good river washed rock but kind of hard to tell for sure by the pics. If it is do sone sampling first in several places there before you get too involved. No sence wasting time on dead ground. With a mine near by this could be good placer deposits.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Hi B H Prospector

Next weekend I will do a sampling with my new pan :)

Here is another photo with more detail

rock2.jpg

Thank you very muck for your advice

Regards

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roman times.... are you in Italy or Europe? I've been prospecting alot in the last 6 years. Not really an EXPERT yet. That being said, the pics look good to me. Try down stream from where the mine was. Is that river gravel in the pic (white rocks) ? In AZ, the red dirt is said to be best. Red dirt here has more clay and harder to work. I like the sandy soil..... like your pics. I would try classifying up to a bucket (5 gallons ) into a pan. If no "color" try elsewhere. If there was a mine, there must be a mine dump nearby. Some people call the dump "tailings". Look for the dump to ascertain that it was a mine. No dump means no mine. TTC

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman times.... are you in Italy or Europe? I've been prospecting alot in the last 6 years. Not really an EXPERT yet. That being said, the pics look good to me. Try down stream from where the mine was. Is that river gravel in the pic (white rocks) ? In AZ, the red dirt is said to be best. Red dirt here has more clay and harder to work. I like the sandy soil..... like your pics. I would try classifying up to a bucket (5 gallons ) into a pan. If no "color" try elsewhere. If there was a mine, there must be a mine dump nearby. Some people call the dump "tailings". Look for the dump to ascertain that it was a mine. No dump means no mine. TTC

Hello Terry

I am in Europe and that is terciary river gravel at 120 mts height from sea level.

I have found red and blue clay ( I have read about the blue clay ;) ), magnetite, yellow and rose quartz, conglomerates so all indicates to a good place.

No dumping talling visible

Thanks for your advice and I would do what you said

Regards

Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mik, just because you don't SEE the dump, doesn't mean it's not there. Terciary gravels are ALWAYS good! When in Rome, do as the Romans do! (Sorry, I couldn't resist). Look for "hills or banks" that seem out of place. In AZ it's not uncommon for "newbies" to be standing on a dump and not know it because it's overgrown with foliage. I'm not saying you're a newbie, by the way.... just making a point. That terciary gravels should do good for you. Good luck! TTC

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And welcome to the net. TTC

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I am a newbie :) and I will do like the Romans do

Thank you Terry. If i find anything next weekend I will tell you

I can´t wait to pan ehehe

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that first pic,I can see three distinct layers....something major flooding happened with that middle one....appears to be mud?Volcanic?Take a sample from between each of those layers.If the bottom of that picture is on bedrock take one there of course as well

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that first pic,I can see three distinct layers....something major flooding happened with that middle one....appears to be mud?Volcanic?Take a sample from between each of those layers.If the bottom of that picture is on bedrock take one there of course as well

Hi Kuger

I think there are 2 layers of gravel and the one in the middle was a big alluvial stream. I will take samples of the bottom of the big one in the black areas were I think magnetite is.

I am trying to understand why there are a kind of waves ( high and low gravel) along the cut. Knowing that the main torrent/stream direction was toward the photo I can´t understand how that waves were formed through hydrodinamics. If someone can help me I would be appreciated ;)

Thanks

Mike

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here we can see the "waves" that are all along the cut

rock4.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......major flood events

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. So where are the best places to take samples? the bottom of the gracvel? the black spot? the round spot in picture 1?

Thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To sample for production one would sample at a verticle cross section to see if there was pay throughout the layer,but just for prospect,def. sample the change over .....in between each layer.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mik,
You will be doing what all of us here have and that is finding a location where gold has been found before and working it again. Knowing that the Romans worked a placer deposit in the area is the input any of us would have jumped at to start reworking this area. The waves you mention are interesting, things like this could be formed by some type of disturbance in the water such as large rocks either at each wave or upstream that caused eddies in the water causing various heavies to drop out of suspension. Check out any river during high water and you are likely to see disturbances that show on top of the water and those disturbances are doing something underneath the surface as well. Good success with your investigation as you are in the right general location..........63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

mik500

Greenie
Nov 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

The problem is that it´s impossible to rework the area because it´s protected

Thanks

OP