62.3 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.Keep digging.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold will come if you are patient and continue your new hobby!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Aboard:hello2: and congrats on your pocket knife,:icon_thumright:wishing you many treasures,,HH:hello:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice Gerber knife. Gold rings will be near the pull tab setting so you are going to have to dig lots of pulltabs for a chance at a gold ring. Silver will ring up higher in the coin area depending on the surface area of the ring.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's my advice for ya....

1. Be patient. Work long enough and the gold will come.

2. Watch the people on the beach. Find out where the majority of them hang out and hunt there.

3. Mind the tide cycles. Knowing how YOUR beach reacts to the various tide cycles can lead you to the really productive areas.

4. Get to know the trough... as the 'heavies' migrate to this area more often than not.

5. Hunt the fringe zones when things are tough. These areas are often overlooked.

6. Finally, and most importantly, metal detecting is a numbers game. The more you dig, the better you increase your odds of finding something good. If you spend 10 minutes trying to get a target out of the ground, you're losing the game. Be fast, efficient, and get that target out of the ground QUICKLY. The better you are at getting targets in your pouch, the more efficient you become. This increases your odds.

Good luck out there....

Nate

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Read as many threads on this sight as you can. There is a wealth of information from some great detectorists here. Ask questions and they will be more than happy to share their knowledge of this sport with you.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will clean up nice and very useful. Welcome Rookie! :occasion14:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome and nice find. Like they all said, just keep searching, and digging. Do NOT disc out much, because gold jewelry is one of the first things you will lose. Listen very closely, swing slow and close to the ground. Search new areas, find parks and places that people might lose things. Where they play, run around, swim, etc. Or gather in large crowds, such as where a concert is sometimes held. Or outside wedding places, parties, cookouts, etc. Beaches of course are good. You will dig lots of the 40+ year old aluminum beer can pull tabs and beer bottle caps, keep digging, dont get too discouraged, once you get rid of the trash in an area, you can start finding good stuff. Hard to believe they only made cans with pullatbs for 10 or so years, and stopped about 40 years ago, yet you still find them easily today. To me that means there is still a lot of other stuff still in the ground. Take away all your trash too, dont leave it to find again. Fill all your holes, and you will not make anyone mad. Edit! I forgot, gold jewelry is an alloy, and is not very conductive, and it is made in varying amount of several types of metal, so it can ring up as many different things. Dig it all and learn the sounds, never really trust a meter, learn your machine.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Petro88

Petro88

Greenie
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I've been out a few times and mostly finding modern coins. I'm loving it. Time flys when I'm md. I've been going anytime I get night or day

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit youtube now and then and watch some videos of your detector and see what settings they use and why...and ask questions on here as well....a lot of good detectorists here on TNET can answer just about any question you have...good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread