curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....it's 3 inches long & one of my favorites....perfect, but needs better cleaning, any ideas on how? RSCN4192.JPG RSCN4194.JPG

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
chalcedony comes in a variety of colors. After looking through my book, I saw it is also a jasper. This I did not know. & you're right that is a pretty piece.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice! Just a suggestion, trim off upper left part in second photo then lightly polish and then glue on two necklace loops.

RSCN4194.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thank you guys...good idea old digger! Don't know if I'll cut it though because it actually "stands up" on it's own like a kind of dish, pretty unusual, should have taken a pic like that with some arrowheads or stones in it, maybe later. :)

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and beautiful shape.... Chalcedony has a long and colorful history and was also a treasured gem of the ancient world.....

For cleaning I would just use warm water & soap and stay away from any acidic cleaners to preserve this piece.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...thanks Cariboo5....really, treasured gem of days past? Interesting for sure...and thank you for the cleaning advice also!

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome kat....From experience I cleaned a piece of calcite crystal with hydrochloric acid 23% and it bubbled & fizzed and really cleaned it good, how ever it left a shiny sheen which is far from its natural appearance.. The crystals all are a dirty grey color when found. The larger piece is left alone as it has 6 snail fossils in it. Pictures show both pieces natural & cleaned and the second picture of the fossils....

Quartz Sized.jpg Quartz 6 Snails.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice finds you have there Cariboo, looks like it really did clean yours good! Don't know if I'll be brave enough to try the same thing, might just stick with good old soap & water since mine seems to only be dirt, but thank you for telling me that!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread