Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could most anything be in a very pale colored rose colored glass bottle whose top was rather long necked as opposed to a blob top soda? I know my question is rather vague but since all I've found to date in that color was just the top of an obvious cork type bottle.the bottle in question also seems to have a seam down the side.I'll post a picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 104

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what we call Sun Colored Amethyst or SCA for short, here's why you clear glass bottle turned this color...

There's a natural process that transforms some forms of glass to purple, the principal additive in glass that produces these varying shades of purple is manganese. Manganese, when measured properly, was used as a clarifying agent in glass to neutralize the blue-green coloring effects of the naturally occurring iron impurities in raw glass, thus producing a clear or off-clear glass (at least as we perceive it within the wavelength that reaches our eye). Manganese is a sensitive reactor to electromagnetic radiation. Within the scope of electromagnetic radiation there is a low level amount emitted by our sun in the form of ultra violet light. Over a prolonged period of time, moderate to higher levels of manganese in glass will react to the ultra violet light from the sun, causing a “purpling” effect. Dependant upon the levels of manganese in the glass, this purpling or solarization can produce multiple graduations in color from a pink tint to moderately dark purple.

That being said they can also be 'helped' along by "nuking" them, by either running them thru an industrial food sterilizer or putting them in a closed box with a high intensity UV blulb for a week or two, this will turn them extremely dark and bottle collectors hate those bottles AND the people that NUKE them... Jim

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
You will also find bottles that have turned a straw/tan color, instead of Manganese they used Selenium to keep the glass clear and it reacts different to the UV waves...

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your response epackage. I know I have seen some dark purple bottles at Civil War shows that were described to me as being " helped along" to achieve that color.Though beautiful, I like the more natural colors and nuances that antique bottles have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread