Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if you used a jewelers buffing wheel???
or dremel with buffing wheel?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chatmangreer

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CASPER-2 said:
I would think if you used a jewelers buffing wheel???
or dremel with buffing wheel?

I'll give it a try. I'm gonna be brave and even try one in a tumbler.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Facet them. ;))

Tumbling will just round everything off, IMHO it looks kind of goofy after that. :/

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
At another forum site, They constantly talk about using a clear coat formula.. But I would prefer not to go any farther in that direction. I'm not sure what it's called and I really don't agree with this method.. But There is some sort of acid dip or bath which can be used on this Cluster. The acid would slowly dissolve the rough areas and reveal only the true crystal afterward. Tho this could be risky as well.. go to far and you may loose the crystals structure. If your planing to go that route.. Search "acid dipping rocks and minerals" for more info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chatmangreer

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be right. That's all I need to do is make em look worse. HA

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chatmangreer

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a thought. I have alot of other single pieces and clusters that look good. I'll set the rougher looking ones aside and look at the facet angle. BTW, I have found some broken open geodes but want to find the "whole" ones. I go to Diamond Hill Mine in South Carolina and haven't found whole ones. You know of a certain kind of area to look? (creeks, middle of the woods or old gold mines (i won't look there, I'll get side tracked))

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't help you on the geode aspect.. (maybe mexico) thou as for Thunder eggs.. (chalcedony/quartz/agate/opal) I find thunder eggs nearly anywhere and everywhere.. road cuts, in TN and even on my aunts land back behind her house.. Nearly 200 small thunder eggs most are ill formed thou. My aunts cattle hoof them up gracing on the grass. If you live west of the Mississippi river.. you can find chalcedony with an opal complex in the middle. very colorful. Also, Had a call three years ago.. seems word gets out that I'm knowledgeable about these kinds of things and they call me about what they've found in their yard.. One lady ran over a thunder egg while cutting her lawn. being from SC You have to know about bojangles biscuits.. Stopped at one of their new locating in TN and found that they road cut the hill right beside the take out.. picked up about a dozen "potatos" thunder eggs just sitting on the surface.. had people in the take out looking out the window at me as they ate their biscuits and asking my wife what I was doing..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chatmangreer

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you on the geode aspect.. (maybe mexico) thou as for Thunder eggs.. (chalcedony/quartz/agate/opal) I find thunder eggs nearly anywhere and everywhere.. road cuts, in TN and even on my aunts land back behind her house.. Nearly 200 small thunder eggs most are ill formed thou. My aunts cattle hoof them up gracing on the grass. If you live west of the Mississippi river.. you can find chalcedony with an opal complex in the middle. very colorful. Also, Had a call three years ago.. seems word gets out that I'm knowledgeable about these kinds of things and they call me about what they've found in their yard.. One lady ran over a thunder egg while cutting her lawn. being from SC You have to know about bojangles biscuits.. Stopped at one of their new locating in TN and found that they road cut the hill right beside the take out.. picked up about a dozen "potatos" thunder eggs just sitting on the surface.. had people in the take out looking out the window at me as they ate their biscuits and asking my wife what I was doing..

That would be odd to see. HA I'll be more watchful for thunder eggs on my rockhounding then..
I've been metal detecting in places where people looked at me like I was out of my mind.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread