Round ball, Mercs, IHP, and need a ring/thimble ID (copper colonial?)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1600's? 1700's 1800's thimble?

Got out for an hour after torrential rain and hit my colonial spot.

Had a nickel hit and out popped what appears to be a ring or thimble. It was deep and seems old. Copper that was symmetrically cut then had the ends brazed together. Identification help would be greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434578245.421018.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434578266.565129.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434578554.475107.jpg

Next came a fired roundball. It's historically significant because there was supposedly a skirmish during the revolution on this land, but it had never been verified nor written down by witnesses. Just legend. It's not proof, but it makes you wonder...

Last came a couple of Mercs from different holes. The choppy signals made them tough finds but alas, I prevailed...

Last was the IHP. I had a 1902 last week and out came another today. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434578716.139351.jpg

Enjoy and happy hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 13

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers and musket ball! Any specifics you can tell us about that mysterious Revolutionary War skirmish?
Your find sure gives credence to the legend being based on truth. :thumbsup:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve!!
Thats and old thimble.
Without a top.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! That ball is pretty round for being fired. What is the diameter? The thimble looks like an 1800s honey comb pattern. It's a nice one, maybe you can get a copper-smith to restore it for you :thumbsup:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would take a stab and say that thimble is..................flat.

Silvers are flat too.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds!:occasion14: What a great hour! Love the thimble:love10: great roundball history:icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Scrappy don't you ever have an off day???? Nice finds :notworthy:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some good finds steve, what'd that take ya, 12 minutes to find that?, lately all I've been doing is wishing, driving, and getting big fat zeros, lol.

Sigh.........

Nice job!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! That ball is pretty round for being fired. What is the diameter? The thimble looks like an 1800s honey comb pattern. It's a nice one, maybe you can get a copper-smith to restore it for you :thumbsup:

Thx Eric. The roundball is resting on the flat spot so it's not visible. Looks like a soft hit of I were to guess...dirt perhaps...and 200+ years later I dug it up!

Musket balls are one of my absolute favorite finds.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Steve!!
Thats and old thimble.
Without a top.

Thanks George. I'd love to get some date range on that thimble, I'll IM Buck and Bill perhaps. To me it feels pretty early. A total laymans guess would be 1700's.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a (probably) what they call a tailor's thimble, only reason I might know that was because I found one that people ID here on the site. Yours is quite a bit different than mine.
They are open on each end because tailor's are so fast, jk lol Mine had an end that was made for cutting the thread.

Nice finds brother, as usual.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Scrappy. That site just keeps giving up nice stuff. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve - as requested, I'm giving you my opinion on that interesting thimble. I suppose it could be one of those open-ended tailor's thimbles, but it's a little different than ones that I've dug on colonial sites. Below is a sidebar from one of my recent articles that shows discusses these types of thimbles, and hopefully that will give you a little bit more info. As far as age, I don't believe yours is as old as the ones below that are from the late 17th or 18th century. Based on the other finds recovered at your site it's likely to be 1800s, or possibly even the early 1900s. Another possibility is that, based on its design, it could be what's called a "finger guard" which is little more than a shield attached to a ring to help keep the guard in place. They're also more open on one side which yours appears to be. A cool find regardless, but I can say for certain that it's definitely post-colonial.

thimbles.JPG

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve - as requested, I'm giving you my opinion on that interesting thimble. I suppose it could be one of those open-ended tailor's thimbles, but it's a little different than ones that I've dug on colonial sites. Below is a sidebar from one of my recent articles that shows discusses these types of thimbles, and hopefully that will give you a little bit more info. As far as age, I don't believe yours is as old as the ones below that are from the late 17th or 18th century. Based on the other finds recovered at your site it's likely to be 1800s, or possibly even the early 1900s. Another possibility is that, based on its design, it could be what's called a "finger guard" which is little more than a shield attached to a ring to help keep the guard in place. They're also more open on one side which yours appears to be. A cool find regardless, but I can say for certain that it's definitely post-colonial.

View attachment 1176806

Hi Bill. Thanks for the information. I was hoping earlier but it'll still be a nice item to display for the site's organization. On another note come visit us northern boys sometime. My doors always open!

Steve

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a (probably) what they call a tailor's thimble, only reason I might know that was because I found one that people ID here on the site. Yours is quite a bit different than mine.
They are open on each end because tailor's are so fast, jk lol Mine had an end that was made for cutting the thread.

Nice finds brother, as usual.

Thanks Brad. It was actually my favorite find Of the day. This site has slowed down quite a bit but it's still offering up some interesting finds. I can't wait to straighten and display the thimble/finger guard!

Steve

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's more unwritten history, than recorded! On just that account AWESOME FINDS!!!!
Thimble is unique, lots of great finds!

How do you tell if the musket ball is fired or not?

Thimble is probably fitted so it doesn't slip off when used.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions