Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
A friend found these rocks in Tellico Tennessee on the Tellico river. What do you all think might have caused them to be shaped as such. They are not real hard and slightly porous similar to sandstone or mountain stone in weight and texture. She appreciates any help you experts might provide.
Thank you and..click the pic for enlargement.
HH
TnMtns photo copy.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Tnmountains,

I could be wrong but believe that the rocks that the girl found are basically sedimentary rocks that have gone through water drippage erosion then weathering and tumbling in the river. They appear to consist of mainly Limestone/Sandstone conglomerates but may also have other composites within them as well. These were more than likely pieces of a larger mass that was eroded by drippage from inside a cave or under a waterfall. Once the mass eroded to the point that it was weak, it probably broke apart during a flash flood event with the individual pieces washing and tumbling downstream in the Tellico River for many, many years. This would account for the round as well as irregular shapes of the rocks with many having holes going all the way through them while others have holes only going partially through them. I know the Tellico River well as I Gold prospect on it and some tributary streams and while I have never seen any of these rocks with holes in them, I am sure that they are there in fair quantities. My problem is that I am looking for Gold and not these types of rocks.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread