Rube Goldurg Doodads - Part 2

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) Continued from Part one - Post your helpful techniques here.

I don't know what other people use to save their backs when spending a day with a Gold pan, but this is what I use and it is useful to me!

Useful Combination..jpg Useful Combination - 1.jpg Useful Combibation - 2.jpg

(Notice the black band at the top of the bucket, that is 1/2" strapping pulled tight to prevent the bucket from splitting under the weight of the water.)

This cone holds 17 1/2 gallons of water when full of water, plus you can add a little soap or Jet Dry to the water to help drop the float gold in the pan.
(When using the panning station I have a large pan that always stays floating in the water, I pan into this larger pan with a smaller pan, then I can discard the tailing's on the ground or if they have good Gold I throw the tailing's into a bucket for later working.)

I have one at home and have one to take with me if I spend a day at the river bank or a creek bank.

When we were Dredging we set this Panning Station up in the creek and it was a back saver when clean up time came or anytime someone needed to make a quick check for values in a crevice.

Needle

Attachments

• Useful Combination..jpg
    Useful Combination..jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 499
  • Useful Combination - 1.jpg
    Useful Combination - 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 501
  • Useful Combibation - 2.jpg
    Useful Combibation - 2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brilliant!!!
Now if I could just find 17 gallons of water :D :D

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) :D djui5, some day that may be a problem, prospecting will really get tough then.

When I posted this at the end of part one, there were some inquiries on where some of these cones could be obtained.

I do not know where these cones could be found, I purchased mine from a second hand store, they were left over from a government project.

They were to be connected to power lines crossing rivers so airplane pilots could see the lines more clearly, they came in colors Red, Yellow and White.

Some suggested they could be made from sheet metal and riveted together with an

open bottom then a piece of plastic sheeting could line the inside of the cone to

contain the water, that would work. (better than nothing to save the back.)

Ferrous

Dec 25, 2007
Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites
Needle, what is the cone made from? Is it something you purchased somewhere or did you make it? I like your set up.
Ferrous :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that as well,I just dont know where I would get one of those cones ??? ???

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) These cones are made of fiberglass, they are light weight and durable to a certain extent, but they can be damaged if really abused.

Damages can be repaired if the tops tear or if holes are punched through the cones.

Cone dementions.jpg

Attachments

• Cone dementions.jpg
    Cone dementions.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 385

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a cheap way to make a cone is to buy some ABS 1/8 plastic sheeting. cut to shape and roll it into the cone confireration and use the ABS adhesive to glue it and clamp it up over night. itll never come apart if clamped evenly.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
...and you can where the cone on your head while you sit in the corner after messing with you wife and yelling at your kids! :tard:

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:D I have seen pictures of dogs with small cone shaped items placed over their

heads to prevent them from biting other people and to keep them out of places you

do not want them getting into.

That looks like that would improve their hearing yet hinder their peripheral vision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread