Rules for removing and/or selling Native American artifacts?

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In a simple two word answer - it depends.
On what you ask - on the state the property is in, it depends on how much the state archies want to get access to the site, depends on whether any human remains where found with it, etc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeremy, my take on a story like that, is not to "shiver in my boots" for the risk of "touching an arrow-head", etc.... There will ALWAYS be fluke stories of some "deep pockets entity" (general electric, in that case) having the book-thrown-at-him for something silly. There are endless examples of big corporations being pursued for stuff that everyone else, does, every-day-of-the-week. Like, I look at things that K-mart gets sued for (over-time calculation disputes, discrimination against some class, etc...) and think "sheesk, every employer I know does those things.

So you can't take "fluke stories" and make them the norm. For example: If I looked long enough and hard enough, I could no doubt find a story of someone roughed up, car confiscated , jailed and ticketed, for leaving his pet bunny in the car while he went into 7-11 to get a slurpee. Why ? "Animal cruelty laws" (no doubt the bunny suffered deprivations, etc...). Ok, sure. But seriously now, if you did that tomorrow, would anyone care less ? OF COURSE NOT.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In most states artifacts recovered from private property that were not recovered from a grave or mound are legal.... There are thousands upon thousands of artifacts being legally sold.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who owns some land that was once home to an Indian village hundreds of years ago. He's found pottery fragments, arrowheads, and other items.

Since these finds are on private land, is he free to sell the items?

Drogo
Most states anything on your land is legal to collect and sell as long as it is not from a grave. A google search should give the laws for your area but be sure to put in private property or you will be in for a shock.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
So what about (stuff) that your family buried a long long time ago on your land? Not saying how they came about it, as I don't know.
But, always that but, if it was anything to amount to something I'd be willing to bet unless you kept your mouth shut and very slowly disposed of it, you would have authorities of all kinds on your back wanting their piece of the action.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what about (stuff) that your family buried a long long time ago on your land? Not saying how they came about it, as I don't know.
But, always that but, if it was anything to amount to something I'd be willing to bet unless you kept your mouth shut and very slowly disposed of it, you would have authorities of all kinds on your back wanting their piece of the action.

Yes look at the gold coins found by the family and all the tax money they had to pay the government.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread