Run in with the law

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Went to ft Zachary Taylor state park this morning as I have done for many years to detect. Awesome first half hour with honker silver ring and about 6 bucks in quarters and dimes----
Then..... A very young FWC officer ( never seen FWC at the beach before) walks up to me,as I'm the only soul on the beach so far, and tells me I can't detect here! I told him the names of the three rangers and park manager whom have told me good luck every other time I've been there have told me it's allowed from the tide line to the vegetation line-- incorrect sir he says, you can only do that from the waterline shoreward three feet!! I said, I'm sorry sir but perhaps you are mistaken or perhaps you can show me the law where it says that so that I can be in compliance from now on? He proceeds to tell me that I can only detect that three foot strip from the water inland but doesn't have anything in writing to give me so I ask for his supervisor or to get the ranger to make sure what exactly the law is , as I'm sure he does not know and is completely wrong! Supervisor gets on radio and tells him exactly what I said, that from high tide to foliage line is permissible! He turns to me and says ," they must have changed the law recently sir because you are correct" well duh!! But after being told by his boss that I was right he says but I have some bad news as well...... It's turtle season now so no digging at all until nov 1st!! WTF?? I asked him if he was going to hang out all day and snatch the plastic pails and shovels outta all the tourist kids hand till nov and he said if I see them I will!! Unbelievable man!! I'm the only one on the beach, it's 830 am, and this guy will just not be satisfied until he has taken a big stinky on my awesome morning!! I told him i thought that was bullshit but that I will comply for today until I can research further as they find nests and barricade them to prevent such destruction- now this kid is getting pissy and asks me to provide him with my id-- well now I'm done being polite! No sir you may not-- sir I need to see your id now! No sir you don't have reason to get my id without suspicion of a crime. Am I a suspect? No response.... Am I being detained?..... No sir he says ... So I turned and split cursing that sob under my breath!! What a complete ass in a uniform!! I've been stopped by plenty of cops and I must say that today I think I met the single biggest ignoramus I've ever met and when an idiot is negligent of the law and has a badge, bad things will happen!! Anyway sorry but just thought I'd vent a little!! So in closing guys I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if he is full if it about this turtle bs with no digging the entire summer on the beach???? I just cannot see it!! I asked a ranger on my way out and they said that's the first they ever heard of it and that if that was the case the beach would be pretty empty this summer!! Curious and pissed in key west lol!!

Attachments

• image-1862514045.jpg
    image-1862514045.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3877350526.jpg
    image-3877350526.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image-3265799276.jpg
    image-3265799276.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. He was a rookie and didnt know but didnt want to look like a fool which he did to his supervisor.
2. He took you the wrong way and thought you were getting out of line with him.
3. He had a bad night and it carried over to work.
4 some are just A-holes

I think it was number 1. I worked for the state for 11 yrs and when someone would come at me the wrong way I would usually go off on them and make them do extra duty or sending them to lock down when needed. I tried not to mix personal matters with work but sometimes it carried over (they are human).

I would print it off and show him next time. I would ask if he had a chance to check it out if the subject ever comes up.If he says no then I would say I did and show him the print off, Good luck and HH cooper

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should of told him get lost ROOKIE and see what he said LOL

I think around my parts it is the Sand Piper Speech.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though the law banning detecting was stopped here in Mass. it seems word has been slow in reaching the all DCR employees, there have been a few people told they can't detect, when by law they can detect!
Ron is going to contact all the Ranger stations and inform them, so they know we can.

It's funny they never protect us (the ones with detectors) when the public bothers us, they never tell them to leave us alone, but we're told to wait until people leave the beach like after 4pm to detect. Do you think the public takes their trash with them, no they just drop or bury it. We come along and dig it up and dispose of it, yet we are the bad guys because we MD. I will never figure that one out!

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This person needed some sign language. Always appropriate when dealing with law enforcement!!

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
I'm gonna have a tshirt made with a picture of my at pro and menace to society written underneath!! Damn the man!! I shall not comply with Leo's bs! If it ain't on the books then tough **** if they don't like it! I have just as much right to be there as everyone else and won't be discriminated against just because they don't like what I'm doin!! I'd love to see them tell me I can't detect untill everyone else leaves the beach.. That sounds like a lawsuit to me!! There should be enough real crime to deal with out there that try stay busy with them and leave us alone!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread