Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves !!
Badge of the State Militia During the Reign of Emperor Alexander III
Source: Reference: V. Kempf. Imperial military badges of Russia, Catalogue, 2008
Don....

Nice indeed, but that's the monogram of his successor, Nicholas II (1894-1917).

Up until the Crimean War of 1852 these “Faith, Tsar and Fatherland” militia crosses were part of uniform insignia, worn on headdress. Thereafter the cross officially became an award (produced in bronze, brass and iron) and worn on the breast. The fixing attachment on the back (loops or pin) usually determines whether these are insignia or award if there is doubt.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red-Coat, you are correct; my 'old' source should be flogged.
From my 'new' source:
[FONT=&quot] The cross is made of brass with gilding. The thickness of the badge on the ends is - 2 mm, in the center medallion -3 mm. The badge size is 25 mm. Extremely rare badge for wear on the chest. The reverse of the badge is smooth, engraved with Latin letters: S.J and date 24/3/15. By order of September 26, 1906, the right to wear the badge on the left side of the chest was awarded to generals, officers and warriors who served in the State Militia of the Siberian Military District and in the squads formed in the Far East during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904 - 1905. During the First World War, this provision remained unchanged.
Source: [/FONT]
https://www.aboutww2militaria.com/militia-cross-monogram-russian-tzar-nicholas-ii.html
Don....
The error couldn't have been more obvious: Roman II vs III

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin cool finds, great info Don.