Rust on my Tiger Shark

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try some Duro Naval Jelly Rust Remover that you can get from most hardware stores. Dab a litlle on the metal, wait a minute and wipe it off. In using metal in saltwater you should keep at the rust with 000 steel wool. Sometimes it just can't be helped and you need to send it back to Tesoro for new hardware.

Don't get any Naval Jelly on the O ring.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
??? ??? ???...You would think that on all water detectors salt or fresh they would use stainless steel. That sounds to me like they are trying to cut corners in the quality of the detectors.. ??? ???

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
You can try some Duro Naval Jelly Rust Remover that you can get from most hardware stores. Dab a litlle on the metal, wait a minute and wipe it off. In using metal in saltwater you should keep at the rust with 000 steel wool. Sometimes it just can't be helped and you need to send it back to Tesoro for new hardware.

Don't get any Naval Jelly on the O ring.
Thanks Sandman.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gadabout - Jim said:
??? ??? ???...You would think that on all water detectors salt or fresh they would use stainless steel. That sounds to me like they are trying to cut corners in the quality of the detectors.. ??? ???
I was curious about that as well.

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
There are diffrent grades of stainless steel 304 will show rust due to its high carbon steel content 316 grade will not but is much more expensive. I would wipe the latches down with WD-40 after each use just spray it into a cloth rag and wipe it down after cleaning that will keep moisture away from the steel. Hope this helps -Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
thorny196 said:
There are diffrent grades of stainless steel 304 will show rust due to its high carbon steel content 316 grade will not but is much more expensive. I would wipe the latches down with WD-40 after each use just spray it into a cloth rag and wipe it down after cleaning that will keep moisture away from the steel. Hope this helps -Mike
??? ???..But why use one that will rust on a water detector.. ??? ??? ??? ???

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
I've never seen a Tiger Shark up close but Tesoro probably gets the latches from a vendor and with steel prices going up the vendor could have went to a diffrent source for his stainless like a Chinese source, China is notorious for their cheap metals!! (Tosoro may not have been aware of it at first) but like I said 'I've never seen one and I don't know how the older units are holding up! At least you have a life time warranty!! R-Mike

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Gadabout - Jim said:
thorny196 said:
??? ???..But why use one that will rust on a water detector.. ??? ??? ??? ???

Nuttall uses 304 on their beach scoop, FWIW.

Steve in Cali.

Sep 6, 2007
There's a spray you can get at any boating supply store that cleans rust from stainless steel.

I can't remember a brand name but the stuff has oxalic acid in it. Spray it on, let it sit for a while then brush it with a wet plastic bristle brush then rinse. It works great.

It's safe for use on gel coats so it is likely safe for the plastic housing for the electronics.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in Cali. said:
There's a spray you can get at any boating supply store that cleans rust from stainless steel.

I can't remember a brand name but the stuff has oxalic acid in it. Spray it on, let it sit for a while then brush it with a wet plastic bristle brush then rinse. It works great.

It's safe for use on gel coats so it is likely safe for the plastic housing for the electronics.
Thanks for the info. I will check into that this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread