Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday after work I decided to re-hit the spot (mound & trench area) where I dug the Springfield lock plate. Only this time I detected in all metal mode. The area was FULL of signals, mostly square nails, but I did find a few keepers. I about soiled myself on one target. It was very close to where the lock plate was, and was a long thin round piece of iron. I thought I had found the rifle barrel, but it ended up being a solid iron spike. :tongue3:

Here are my finds from the 2 hour hunt:
*Musket ball
*Carved lead with lines from a knife (?) :icon_scratch:
*Chewed lead
*Small tapered brass piece w/hole at the top. Any ideas???
*Trunk plate with keyhole & locking mechanism
*Old rake - Any idea of what kind or the age? It was found in the trench.
*Iron heel plate piece. I dug a full one from this spot a few years ago.
*Asst'd other iron crappe'.

Thanks for looking & any ID's would be appreciated.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-056S.JPG
    MVC-056S.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • MVC-057S.JPG
    MVC-057S.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,153
  • MVC-058S.JPG
    MVC-058S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • MVC-062S.JPG
    MVC-062S.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • MVC-061S.JPG
    MVC-061S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • MVC-060S.JPG
    MVC-060S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,146
  • MVC-059S.JPG
    MVC-059S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,156
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
That's what I call worthy of an Iron Brigade membership. :icon_thumright:

What about it Buckles. ::)

Nice hunt MM. Keep that disc low and listen for deep targets. They're there.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
That's what I call worthy of an Iron Brigade membership. :icon_thumright:

What about it Buckles. ::)

Nice hunt MM. Keep that disc low and listen for deep targets. They're there.

Just what I was doing yesterday. That musket ball was super deep. It was in a wet sandy soil which the Silver Umax struggles with. I had a very faint tone, dug, and BAM, there it was. :icon_thumleft: I still love digging CW bullets.
-MM-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Iron Man, you got it today. Is Doug's scrap yard open for business yet? The brass piece looks like the end piece of something like a wooden spoon or dipper handle where you could hang it on a nail. The rivet or nail in the side would have secured it to some kind of wooden handle. Good Finds.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Doug! When are you going to invite me along to one of your sites and give me some tips on the Silver U? I just got the 9x8 coil today.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice oxen shoe very well preserved.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I've dug those little brass things before and I swear I used to know what they are but I've forgotten. If I can remember I'll let you know. The rake is crude it's possible it's civil war. The lock is civil war for sure. Sometimes digging the iron pays off as it gets it out of the way of the good signals. Be careful though last year I dug a big iron signal. It was part of a stove. When I pulled it out I saw something come out with it. It was a block A button that was evidently lying beside the stove piece and I had hit and pretty much destroyed the button :BangHead: :crybaby2:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Great bunch of relics. The rake is probably CW period and I agree with Vol about the brass piece.
Congrats.
Dman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
I've dug those little brass things before and I swear I used to know what they are but I've forgotten. If I can remember I'll let you know.

The brass pieces are a very common UK find in most fields, I get them as much as the umbrella (parasole) centres, so I wonder if they are part of them? (ie. at the end of each rib to hold the fabric) :dontknow:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt MM! 12" of snow here and still coming down. HH, Mike

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Well Iron Man, you got it today. Is Doug's scrap yard open for business yet? The brass piece looks like the end piece of something like a wooden spoon or dipper handle where you could hang it on a nail. The rivet or nail in the side would have secured it to some kind of wooden handle. Good Finds.

Fred Sanford is open for business Q.
I think this piece is way too small to be part of a spoon or dipper. It is only 7/8" tall.
What about one of these pencil sharpeners or part of a writing tool I found in Crouch's book (page 30).
-Doug-

Attachments

• DSCF2730.jpg
    DSCF2730.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 836
  • MVC-068S.JPG
    MVC-068S.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 848
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkyPirate said:
Cool finds Doug! When are you going to invite me along to one of your sites and give me some tips on the Silver U? I just got the 9x8 coil today.

Congrats on the coil Joe.
I don't think you need any tips. You'll learn with experience. I started out just hunting tot lots and then moved to relic hunting. With the Silver Umax you will start to learn the tones and be able to pretty much figure out what the target is. I have no problem now telling if my targets are lead (bullets), coins (or token), shotgun brass (or a nickel), iron, etc. It all comes with experience. I've only ever used a Silver Umax in my detecting career and it has been a fantastic machine.
As far as my sites, I just am not looking for a partner right now. Bubba may get p-ssed. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Just do your reasearch in this area , knock on some doors, and once you have a few spots it will keep you busy for a long time.
Stick with them though and hit them over & over. I've been hitting some spots, like this one for over 3 years now.
Good luck,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic lover said:
Nice oxen shoe very well preserved.

Thanks RL,
I thought that sucker looked a bit big for a horse. ;D Even though it isn't a full shoe, I just love the looks of that piece with the big square nails in it. :thumbsup:
-MM-

vayank54 said:
I've dug those little brass things before and I swear I used to know what they are but I've forgotten. If I can remember I'll let you know. The rake is crude it's possible it's civil war. The lock is civil war for sure. Sometimes digging the iron pays off as it gets it out of the way of the good signals. Be careful though last year I dug a big iron signal. It was part of a stove. When I pulled it out I saw something come out with it. It was a block A button that was evidently lying beside the stove piece and I had hit and pretty much destroyed the button :BangHead: :crybaby2:

Thanks VY,
I was hoping that rake and lock were CW era pieces. I would think they would tie in with the axe and hatch pieces I dug in the same area. I'm sure there will be more. There was part of a hoe I dug too, but it was worn down to a knub, so I hung it in a tree. ;D
Here are a few pictures of some other rusty relics I've dug from the same area over the last few years.
-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-069S.JPG
    MVC-069S.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 812
  • MVC-070S.JPG
    MVC-070S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 810

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with those finds MM :icon_thumright: I like the Iron Spike :D

Site should produce many more interesting finds. Good you got out yesterday, all white out there today :laughing7:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Great bunch of relics. The rake is probably CW period and I agree with Vol about the brass piece.
Congrats.
Dman

Thanks D,
I'll need a BIG display case to put that rake in. ;D
-D#2-

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
I've dug those little brass things before and I swear I used to know what they are but I've forgotten. If I can remember I'll let you know.

The brass pieces are a very common UK find in most fields, I get them as much as the umbrella (parasole) centres, so I wonder if they are part of them? (ie. at the end of each rib to hold the fabric) :dontknow:

Thanks Cru,
I'll be over in the UK in about a week, so save some goodies for me.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread