cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they do sometimes.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharp points on any elongated ferrous target (wire, nails, screws, twist-ties) has the ability to generate eddies that replicate the more generous eddies of a non-ferrous target. However, you can usually tell the ferrous (iron) target because the high tone is truncated (shortened pips and beeps). The TID will usually be in the upper-right (silver) rather than in the bottom-right (ferrous). You can DISC out a few of the top lines in the upper-right to quiet the false iron hits. Note: The more DISC you use the less sensitive the detector (and less depth), so use it carefully.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Ah, yes...the bane of my existance. As Jackalope said, there are some ways to deal with it. And as dustytrails mentioned, it's more of a problem for some machines than for others. You'll develop an ear for it after a while.

Another quick check is to re-sweep the target at a 90 degree angle from the first sweep. A rusty nail usually won't give you a repeatable good signal from another direction. Failing to get a repeatable signal from a second direction is not an absolute guarantee that you're looking at ferrous trash, but it's a safe bet to make if you're not in the mood to dig holes. The eddy effect from a sharp point is dependant upon orientation with regard to the direction of the coil's swing, so swinging from other directions will make it go away. Unfortunately, it's possible for things that are worth digging to present similar directional signals. In my admittedly limited experience (during which I dug up a metric butt-ton of rusty crap before the tones clicked), the non-repeatable sweep from another direction is usually means trash.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that when searching in my own yard ( 1840s farm house) that very old rusty nails give off a signal that sometimes sounds like silver ?
A bent rusty nail or staple will look and sound so good sometimes. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

Chihene

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that when searching in my own yard ( 1840s farm house) that very old rusty nails give off a signal that sometimes sounds like silver ?

hit the quick mask and check the numbers...or quickly switch to 2 tone ferrous...it will help you make a decision to dig or not to dig...

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not meaning to be a smart a#% but i do feel your pain.
The decent replies above is all that i can offer also. Time on the machine will heal most of the pain.
btya
TL

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit the quick mask and check the numbers...or quickly switch to 2 tone ferrous...it will help you make a decision to dig or not to dig...

What is the "quick mask"?

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the "quick mask"?

In other words, when you are hunting in the DISC screen and get a target that is falling within the DISC area (greyed), you will not get a cursor or tone, but you may get a piece of the target falling outside the DISC area that appears to be good (beep). With the E-Trac you can switch the screen to an (mostly or totally) open screen (no DISC) and see where the cursor on the TID is actually falling. This can tell you whether to dig or not.

With the CTX-3030 the TID displays the position of all targets, and the rejected ones are shown with a 'rejected' icon, so there is less need to switch to a second open screen. The second open screen is still good to use on the CTX simply to obtain the highest sensitivity and depth. Targets can be missed with DISC dialed in - and if you aren't watching the screen you may miss a good target that has fallen into a DISC'd area. Another reason is that with an open screen the increased sensitivity will gain you more targets (especially the smaller, weaker, low conductivity targets - like thin gold rings).

Jackalope

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,

I understand how my CTX; works just never heard that term associated with the second screen in a mode.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was worried how I was going to be able to tell the difference between our new Canadian clad and a rusty nail, cause our clad has a lot of iron it them, but today I did some air tests with a Canadian coin program for the ctx , and with our loonies, toonies , quarters it showed two targets on the screen , I guess one for steel and second for the other metal that these coins are made from , where as a rusty old nail was just one target , this will be helping me a lot with the new clad D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Last edited:
OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
Hoping that the us comes out with the new dollar coin they are talking about

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping that the us comes out with the new dollar coin they are talking about

What machine are you running? I hunt with a guy taht uses an Etrac, and small bolts and nails gets even him. I use an ATP and have that issue, but it also has an Audio Iron settign to sorta drown out any good signal....Now if the target is 6-* deep or deeper...Im still gonna dig it,

but it does help on the shallow steel bottle caps

OP
OP
shanemcn

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
What machine are you running? I hunt with a guy taht uses an Etrac, and small bolts and nails gets even him. I use an ATP and have that issue, but it also has an Audio Iron settign to sorta drown out any good signal....Now if the target is 6-* deep or deeper...Im still gonna dig it, but it does help on the shallow steel bottle caps
I'm using an explorer se pro and still learning but having a lot of fun with it , just started playing with iron mask , it gives you a lot more signals to deal with, a little overwhelming in a trashy area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread