Rusty Railroad Relic

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what this thing is? I think it may be broken in half, but you see these things near the old railroads out here all the time.

DSC04066.jpg DSC04067.jpg DSC04068.JPG

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a broken splice plate. They bolted to the sides of the rails to hold them end to end.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Ive always assumed its one of those, but why is it so different? And I only see these at old sites along the old RRs, all rusty like this. It would be interesting to know what time period they came from. 1800s, early 1900s? Im thinking somewhere in the 1900s, and they may not be all that old, but like I said, you only see them along old RRs. And thank you for your response.

Upvote 0

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Howdy Old Pueblo . . .
I'm sure it's not part of an iron rail system but Does look familiar as an early WOODEN RAIL system . The "rails" were actually soft or hardwoods dependant on the region and topped with iron flat stock . With the offset holes , this reminds me of the TIMBER TIES that kept the ends firmly aligned . While never seeing the early steam wooden rails (1820/30) in person , I have seen mine rails (1820/30) built this way using carriage bolts (your square holes) and assuming broken in about half .
Surely it could be from a myriad of things .... this is my best recollection.

Mark.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread