Ryedale silver dime sorting?

jack584

May 29, 2011
I've been a hunter for a while now, haven't done huge volume of halves compared to some of you, recently I have been doing about 3-5k a week, but all the silver halves are gone here in southern California. Last weeks 8 boxes only got me 1 40% and that isint worth the time to me. I have told my banks stop the half orders.

So now I'm wondering if I should start doing dimes in heavy volume (over 10k a week would be considered heavy for someone like me) I talked to all my order banks and they said they could easily get me 5k in dimes every week, and that's 4 banks. I did 2 $500 dime boxes earlier this week and got 2 from the first and 3 from the second which is way better then the halves.

So now my question is this: If I bought a Ryedale coin sorter, could it sort out silver dimes? Searching through over 100,000 dimes by hand every week would be way to much work for me. If I could get the same amount of silver dimes as I have been getting, the machine would pay for itself.

Thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I would send Andy a message through his website at pennysorter.com. I had a question for him last weekend and he responded back pretty quickly.

I don't see why in wouldn't be able to do dimes, but it would require a feed wheel sized for dimes. One of the listings he has on ebay right now references being able to sort pennies and nickels (U.S. or Canadian), but no mention of dimes.

OP
OP
J

jack584

May 29, 2011
I don't know what part of So Cal you live in, but I strongly disagree.

Maybe you are right, because a few months ago when a was just doing 1 or 2 boxes a week I was getting 2-4 40% per box and a 90% every 3 boxes. Then one week there was nothing. Maybe somebody is dumping into my supply, I'll try ordering at some other banks, maybe open a few more accounts before I give up on halves. But if I can sort through enough dimes I would be doing better then halves even when the findings were good.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I would send Andy a message through his website at pennysorter.com. I had a question for him last weekend and he responded back pretty quickly.

I don't see why in wouldn't be able to do dimes, but it would require a feed wheel sized for dimes. One of the listings he has on ebay right now references being able to sort pennies and nickels (U.S. or Canadian), but no mention of dimes.

The Ryedale Apprentice uses . . . It is designed for . . . There is a payout wheel that you can purchase that works with dimes (a #xx wheel). From what I've gathered, you can order that wheel either from . . . or from . . . The comparator that the Apprentice uses . . . You will probably have better luck with it if . . .

If you are looking to do dimes, I would suggest . . .

Don't forget, the sorter is . . . Just make sure . . .

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ryedale is pretty fast but searching by eye would probably be much faster. Remember dimes now come in see-thru plastic sleeves. I can eyeball one roll in a few seconds and put it in a dime box.

How long does it take to slit open one roll, pour the dimes in the ryedale, shake any dimes that refuse to fall out and then wait for the machine to sort. Then you have the loose dimes to return.

spotting silver in amoung clad is easy. any rolls where you think there might be silver can be opened later.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you are right, because a few months ago when a was just doing 1 or 2 boxes a week I was getting 2-4 40% per box and a 90% every 3 boxes. Then one week there was nothing. Maybe somebody is dumping into my supply, I'll try ordering at some other banks, maybe open a few more accounts before I give up on halves. But if I can sort through enough dimes I would be doing better then halves even when the findings were good.

This seems to have happend to almost everyone on here. I too up until early march was having great luck with boxes. an occasional skunk, some with 1 or 2, but lots of boxes with 5-10 and some with 15-20. Now I barely every find anything, it was like someone flipped a switch. I mean I still find stuff but I have to go through like 6-8 boxes. I attribute this to the "Christmas silver dump." (people reaching deep into their piggy banks to satisfy little johnny and suzy). I have read posts from veterans who say a few months after christmas things slow to a trickle.

OP
OP
J

jack584

May 29, 2011
The ryedale is pretty fast but searching by eye would probably be much faster. Remember dimes now come in see-thru plastic sleeves. I can eyeball one roll in a few seconds and put it in a dime box.

How long does it take to slit open one roll, pour the dimes in the ryedale, shake any dimes that refuse to fall out and then wait for the machine to sort. Then you have the loose dimes to return.

spotting silver in amoung clad is easy. any rolls where you think there might be silver can be opened later.

My pickup banks use Garda, and my dumps Brinks, I have done a few Brinks boxes in my area and they don't have any silver. I think they come from the coinstars so silver is rejected. All my dimes come paper wrapped, and I dump coins in CoinLok bags, so I don't need to reroll. I would just do one box of dimes, put it in bag, replace any silver dimes with clad ones, so its an even $500 and take it to the bank. I'm going to switch all my half orders to Dime orders and start stepping up volume with Dimes because halves just suck now.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that idea, except for the up-front cost for the machine. You should be able to search a $250 box of dimes in 10-12 minutes or less, without the machine. If you are not re-rolling, good old-fashioned unwrapping and edge-searching seems the way to go. It's not so much about profit regarding dime hunting, it's more about the thrill of the hunt, imo. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread