ryedale

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
hey all, my wife had intended on getting me a white's metal detector as a birthday / xmas gift. I told her it was too expensive, and that for slightly less we could get a ryedale.

Since I've never really cared much for pennies, I'd like some feedback on the ryedale. How much you go through, what your normal operations are, how soon can you turn profitable, etc. If you'd rather not post I understand, pms are fine.

hh all

~phrostie

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TXTim said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Wow, very surprised at the majority of replies in favor of the Ryedale vs. a metal detector.

Gotta remember, this is the CRH forum where many on here never have or never will metal detect. There is some cross over but I believe those who frequent this forum are more prone to collect coins/bullion via the roll/bag. I myself have never md'ed but I have always wanted to and maybe will one day.

You are probably in the minority here.
Treasurenet is primarily an MD forum and I'd be willing to bet that most who here started their CRH career here were MDr's first.

If you look at the amount of traffic and posts.. CRH side of TNet wins hands down. I was a CRHer before buying a metal detector. In fact it was reading the metal detector posts that convinced me to buy one. I think TNet started the metal detecting forum first but the CRH one later took over in terms of popularity simply because it's free and easy to do.

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
I have a detector,use it for prospecting out west. Good for a hobby,but not a profit. As far as east coast coin's versus the west,we have ghost towns!

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
Go for the Ryedale!!!!
You can find used MDs all over the place at discounts but try finding a used ryedale at a significant discount on the resale market - it aint happening!

MD'ing is fun but labor and time intensive. CRH/Hoardin' is easy!

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
As stated in previous posts there are a few factors you need to consider. Being able to dump large amounts of cents at a time could pose a problem somewhere down the line. I have always wanted to try a ryedale but decided against it. Why? It is just as easy to hand sort them. I know some people will disagree but I can tear through a box of cents in no time. Of course I also search the zincolns for errors and varieties. To me, it is not worth the time to search cents for just copper and wheats.

The metal detector will allow you to get outdoors (depending on location) and enjoy nature and history at its finest. Are you going to make your money back on the machine the first year? Probably not, but if I did either of these hobbies to make money I wouldn't need my day job. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread