S.S. Esparta Bell

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been walking by this bell for 20 years, & always wondered how it ended up in rural Vermont. The S.S. Esparta was built in Belfast in 1904, a single funnel Transport Cargo ship, ( Merchant Steamer )carrying Bananas, Coffee, Fruit, Produce & the like. Had three owners over the years, first being Tropical Fruit S.S. LTD. Glasgow, Scotland. She was sunk by a German U 123 U boat 15 miles south of Brunswick Georgia in April 1942. I am trying to get info. from people in the Community that might know something about it's origin in Vermont. I don't think it is Wreck salvaged, is it possible the bell was changed when it was sold in 1915 or later when sold to U.S.A owned United Fruit S.S. Co. ( Chiquita, Great White Fleet New York ? I may never find out. I always consider the bell to be the ships Voice, & this bell has a beautiful Tone.

Attachments

• esparta.jpg
    esparta.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 201
  • bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 113

Baldran

Jan 29, 2022
I have been walking by this bell for 20 years, & always wondered how it ended up in rural Vermont. The S.S. Esparta was built in Belfast in 1904, a single funnel Transport Cargo ship, ( Merchant Steamer )carrying Bananas, Coffee, Fruit, Produce & the like. Had three owners over the years, first being Tropical Fruit S.S. LTD. Glasgow, Scotland. She was sunk by a German U 123 U boat 15 miles south of Brunswick Georgia in April 1942. I am trying to get info. from people in the Community that might know something about it's origin in Vermont. I don't think it is Wreck salvaged, is it possible the bell was changed when it was sold in 1915 or later when sold to U.S.A owned United Fruit S.S. Co. ( Chiquita, Great White Fleet New York ? I may never find out. I always consider the bell to be the ships Voice, & this bell has a beautiful Tone.
Hi there, I’m curious which town in Vermont this bell is located in? I just bought this painting of the Esparta from an auction house in Williston, and have been trying to track down any info I can about her. I’m surprised to see that her bell ended up here too!

Attachments

• C115B7C5-DEB5-4E97-83AB-B78C25561719.jpeg
    C115B7C5-DEB5-4E97-83AB-B78C25561719.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 125

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Hi there, I’m curious which town in Vermont this bell is located in? I just bought this painting of the Esparta from an auction house in Williston, and have been trying to track down any info I can about her. I’m surprised to see that her bell ended up here too!
Nice find for the money!

OP
OP
R

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for delayed response, this bell is in Middletown Springs between West Rutland & Poultney

toddbordelon

Aug 25, 2022
The SS Esparta was the ship my Grandfather was on in WW2 as the radio man. He never talked much about when they were hit by the torpedo but I know the story. They got hit and Johnny (my grandfather) was on the radio tapping out their location and an sos over and over but no response. The ship leaned and began taking on water, smoke from a fire somewhere. Evacuation was called and everyone was abandoning ship. My grandfather kept tapping out and calling for help, giving location and sos. The water was coming up and the captan came in to make sure Johnny abandoned ship. Johnny stayed by the radio calling out their location and sos. The water was now in the radio room and the captain was back to physically drag Johnny off the ship. With the water up around them and Johnny hanging on the desk with the radio and the captain on his arm finally someone responded on the radio. Johnny gave the location of the ship. The captain and my grandfather were the last off the ship.

I never knew how much this part of his life affected him until long after he passed away. When my grandmother passed my mom asked for my help to clean out the house. I went into the attic of the house my grandparents lived in since the late 40’s early 50’s and right in my face was the tattered and worn life vest and canteen marked ss Esparta. That’s how I learned the name of the ship.

Even more interesting to me is my grandmother family history. Her family from Italy living in Honduras, New York and New Orleans were in the shipping business and owned or managed the United Frute co I believe. Wish they were still alive so I could get more details. I know my grandmother’s family were big on the Catholic Church because a great or great great (some number of great) grandfathers gave a huge amount of money to start Cabrini Catholic Church in New Orleans. If the bell is at a church I would not be surprised if my grandmother’s family had something to do with that. Just a guess.

I still have the life vest and canteen but they are in very poor condition.

Last edited:

toddbordelon

Aug 25, 2022
The SS Esparta was the ship my Grandfather was on in WW2 as the radio man. He never talked much about when they were hit by the torpedo but I know the story. They got hit and Johnny (my grandfather) was on the radio tapping out their location and an sos over and over but no response. The ship leaned and began taking on water, smoke from a fire somewhere. Evacuation was called and everyone was abandoning ship. My grandfather kept tapping out and calling for help, giving location and sos. The water was coming up and the captan came in to make sure Johnny abandoned ship. Johnny stayed by the radio calling out their location and sos. The water was now in the radio room and the captain was back to physically drag Johnny off the ship. With the water up around them and Johnny hanging on the desk with the radio and the captain on his arm finally someone responded on the radio. Johnny gave the location of the ship. The captain and my grandfather were the last off the ship.

I never knew how much this part of his life affected him until long after he passed away. When my grandmother passed my mom asked for my help to clean out the house. I went into the attic of the house my grandparents lived in since the late 40’s early 50’s and right in my face was the tattered and worn life vest and canteen marked ss Esparta. That’s how I learned the name of the ship.

Even more interesting to me is my grandmother family history. Her family from Italy living in Honduras, New York and New Orleans were in the shipping business and owned or managed the United Frute co I believe. Wish they were still alive so I could get more details. I know my grandmother’s family were big on the Catholic Church because a great or great great (some number of great) grandfathers gave a huge amount of money to start Cabrini Catholic Church in New Orleans. If the bell is at a church I would not be surprised if my grandmother’s family had something to do with that. Just a guess.

I still have the life vest and canteen but they are in very poor condition.

Attachments

• 7B942C5E-EBFD-4D69-A205-19A48C39E691.jpeg
    7B942C5E-EBFD-4D69-A205-19A48C39E691.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • E474D557-2785-4F6E-90D1-D1FC9ABC5D1D.jpeg
    E474D557-2785-4F6E-90D1-D1FC9ABC5D1D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 7E59CB09-7F7E-4625-8DD5-A31004D956BD.jpeg
    7E59CB09-7F7E-4625-8DD5-A31004D956BD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • 19F675CD-22F4-4F1E-8438-DAEF609726CB.jpeg
    19F675CD-22F4-4F1E-8438-DAEF609726CB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 38DA9426-F877-4D5A-AD8F-CA7E20C1E593.jpeg
    38DA9426-F877-4D5A-AD8F-CA7E20C1E593.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 3F441CD6-ACB7-4CA3-AAA0-643707495A36.jpeg
    3F441CD6-ACB7-4CA3-AAA0-643707495A36.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 51F4655E-AEF2-42A3-946F-4B6235576143.jpeg
    51F4655E-AEF2-42A3-946F-4B6235576143.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information about the Esperta and its history! Thanks for the great background stories!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread