Sacagawea Dollar question

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
This summer some man came to my garage sale and paid me $50 in these coins for 2 wagon wheels. I got them out today and started looking at them. I found out that there was some rinse process the mint did on them to keep them from getting spots on them. My question is what is it that I look for? Should they be really shiny like gold or should they be dull? Hope it is not a stupid question but confused on what to look for.

Attachments

• IMG48039.jpg
    IMG48039.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 608

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
W,

thats strange; folks walking around with that many
Sacagawea coins. ???

Why do you want to clean them? If I wanted to
keep them, I would just leave as is.

Had a few, folks look at you funny when you try
to spend them. Others get mad, no place in the
cash register ;D

have a good un........

OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
The ones that the mint rinsed in this solution are supposed to be more valuable. But I don't know what one is supposed to look like that has been rinsed at the mint. I was not going to clean mine. just wondering.

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
W,

thats strange; folks walking around with that many
Sacagawea coins. ???

Why do you want to clean them? If I wanted to
keep them, I would just leave as is.

Had a few, folks look at you funny when you try
to spend them. Others get mad, no place in the
cash register ;D

have a good un........

I always carry some of these and half dollars that I don't need. I go to banks to get them so I can spend them.

I think it is fun when a cashier doesn't know what they are - I know, I need a life!!

Also, if you are a drinker and hit the bars (even occasionally) make sure you have some of these and half dollars for tips. My experience shows that when I am tipping with halves or sacagawea's, I get exceptional service!!!!! I was at a very busy club one night that had 3 bartenders busting their butts the entire time. There were times you had to wait 10-15 minutes to order your drinks - but not me. After I had tipped a couple of them on a few trips to the bar, you could see that they would fight to be the first one to wait on me. It was great!!!!

mnm

May 17, 2006
Should you collect these coins cause I see them everywhere ? I recently tried my hand at coinrolling and the Bank gave these to me , every last one was a Sacagawea . Just curious because if it is in my best interests to save them then maybe I will try my hand at it again . Thanks , Mike --

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just the problem with dollar and half-dollar coins. Vicious cycle we're in. People save them because they never see them (cash and cash cards are so much easier and less heavy!), so there are less then in circulation to be seen. Self-perpetuating. Anyhow, to my knowledge no halves or dollars are extremely collectable, and even if they were there would be a good many of them around in high grades because they don't circulate as much as pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. (I hate to make a statement like that, because someone will come along and say "This one is rare!", but aside from error coins I haven't heard about any).

Hope this helps,

Buckleboy

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
A few things I can tell you as an avide Sac dollar collector.

If you are refering the the "special wash" being the satin finish coins. They are ONLY available by purchasing the mint set, and are dated 2005 and 2006. The ones from 2000-2004 (not circulated with dates of 2003 or 2004) were washed, but all of them were. The Sacagawea's are a coin that just plain gets ugly with time if they are not put into air tite coin holders.

But, if you have a 2000 P that was originally found in the Cheerios box. That's different. It is worth $4000-8000 dollars. This is considered a patter coin since the tail feathers on the eagle on the back of the coin are very detailed. I would check all of your 2000-P coins for this detail, since most of the 10,000 people that found them in their cereal boxes, took them out of their packaging and either put them up or spent them, which means there at the bank, sitting in rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread