Sad day...

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Went to go mding today but my detector was not to be found! Racking my brain no luck. Walked to mail box and see it laying in yard. Nobody seems to know how it got there, we had a b-day party for our 14 yo daughter friday night 20+ kids here. Anyway turned it on and nothing! New battery still NOTHING! Im pretty mad as times arent easy rite now and no extra $ in the budget for a new one. Thats my find for the day my detector broke in my yard!!

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
I feel your pain man,had a thoughtless teenager my self once.Don't give up on her though ,I just kept loving mine and she turned out alright.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Could it not just be moisture :-\

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Could never stay mad at her for long shes a great kid. Just dont get why its not working, it hasnt rained since friday. I opened up housing its not coroded or ne broken wires. I dont know unless it was out there longer than I think and did get wet.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
buzzgator said:
Could never stay mad at her for long shes a great kid. Just dont get why its not working, it hasnt rained since friday. I opened up housing its not coroded or ne broken wires. I dont know unless it was out there longer than I think and did get wet.

Could be just morning dew :-\

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tried a blow dryer on low heat setting hoping it was just moisture but still nothing. Maybe after a few days inside it will work again. And just my luck they have cut the beans on a site I want to hit where I have found glass while arrowhead hunting. Thinking maybe I will sell or trade some arrowheads for another machine.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bro, if I was one of those guys with 5-6 detectors, I'd be shipping one off to you. I only have one. :(

Is there any chance of getting it repaired by the manufacturer?

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GioTheGreek said:
Bro, if I was one of those guys with 5-6 detectors, I'd be shipping one off to you. I only have one. :(

Is there any chance of getting it repaired by the manufacturer?

Same here.

I don't know about your detector, but when I got salt moisture in mine while at Huntington Beach, I sent it in to Garrett and a week later, I had it back working as good as new.

Then, there's the possibility that the problem is in your coil connection(s).

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Try a bit of rice around it.

My daughter was 14 last Monday. Isn't it fun :laughing7:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
im 60 now reminds of the great things my grandfather had as a teenager i did not treat with the right respect at all but he still loved me hope a little drying time helps your detector out good luck

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Shawn7, thanks for reminding me about the rice its worked on my cell phone a couple times! I have had detector for about 5-6 years its a tesoro cibola do they have a life time waranty?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
buzzgator said:
Shawn7, thanks for reminding me about the rice its worked on my cell phone a couple times! I have had detector for about 5-6 years its a tesoro cibola do they have a life time waranty?

Yes, all the Tesoros have a lifetime warranty. Were you the original purchaser?

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
No I wasnt original owner. I had a ace 250 and nautilus dmcll-b but sold them last year now wishing I would have kept the dmc even tho it was a heavy d-cell battery eating machine it had excelent depth! I got the cibola at a yard sale for $100 and it was so lite and worked so well I never used the nautilus again.

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is obviously a sign...

Kellyco has a great deal on the Garrett AT Pro. I just ordered mine yesterday with a grip of free goodies, including a pointer. I had been using my friends detector for a few months (Bounty hunter, and Garrett 250) I decided it was time to step up to the plate, and get this problem handled.

Now I'm watching the front door for a little delivery!

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
im with Shaun7 on the rice treatment thing. My kids have dropped they're phones in the toilet, left them outside in the yard, dropped them in the lake. And putting the phone in a fruit jar of rice has worked everytime. I'd try packing some rice around the electronics for a few days and see what happens. Whatya got to lose.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call Tesoro, explain what happened. Although the lifetime warranty is for original owners, they may take pitty on you and help you out. Or, it may cost a little bit to get fixed, but it'll probably be a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you remember where the garage sale was? If they were the original owners maybe they would send it in for you...nothing to lose by asking.

NJ

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rice.... it draws the moisture out....

that would be my guess without any visible physical damage...

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
WOOHOO! Rice is good for more than just eating! Happy to say Cibola is back in business!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions